Upgrade Orchestrator in Primary and DR enviornment with same DB

Hi there,

I am upgrading from Orchestrator and Robot v20.10.10 to v22.10.5.
I tried in SIT and UAT. It was fine and simple with few clicks.

Now I am going to upgrade Production environment, I noticed one question that in Production environment. I have Primary Orchestrator and DR Orchestrator connecting to the same DB.

My doubt is that once I finish upgrade one side (e.g. Primary Orchestrator using .msi), it will also make changes to the database already.
I am expecting my DR site will not work anymore (which is fine at this moment), then if I go ahead to upgrade DR Orchestrator. During the installation process, the installation MSI will probably detect the DB is already for v22.10.5.

1. Will that stop the installation? or
  2. It might pop up something like

Any advice what will happen? and how to resolve this?
The problem is we don’t have a Non-Production environment to test this Primary/DR setup upgrade. All the Non-PROD sites are only one orchestrator connecting to one MSSQL DB.

Appreciate for your help/advice.
Thanks.

1 Like

there are few things to consider when upgrading UiPath Orchestrator and Robot in a production environment with a primary and DR Orchestrator connecting to the same database

Database schema changes

When you upgrade Orchestrator, the database schema is updated to support the new features and functionality. This means that the DR Orchestrator will not be able to connect to the database until it has also been upgraded.

Upgrade order

To avoid any downtime, it is important to upgrade the Orchestrators in a specific order:

1. Upgrade the primary Orchestrator.
  2. Once the primary Orchestrator has been upgraded successfully, upgrade the DR Orchestrator.

DR Orchestrator upgrade

When you upgrade the DR Orchestrator, the installation MSI will detect that the database is already at version v22.10.5. This will not stop the installation, but it will prevent the DR Orchestrator from connecting to the database until the DR Orchestrator has also been upgraded to v22.10.5.

Recommended steps

Here are the recommended steps for upgrading a production environment with a primary and DR Orchestrator connecting to the same database:

1. Create a backup of the database.
  2. Upgrade the primary Orchestrator.
  3. Once the primary Orchestrator has been upgraded successfully, test the DR Orchestrator to make sure that it is still working as expected.
  4. Upgrade the DR Orchestrator.
  5. Once the DR Orchestrator has been upgraded successfully, test both Orchestrators to make sure that they are both working as expected.

Additional tips

1. It is a good idea to have a maintenance window scheduled for the upgrade.

2. Communicate the upgrade plan to all stakeholders in advance.

3. Monitor the upgrade process closely and be prepared to troubleshoot any problems that may occur.

Some document reference

https://docs.uipath.com/orchestrator/standalone/2022.10/installation-guide/about-updating-and-migrating

https://docs.uipath.com/orchestrator/standalone/2022.10/installation-guide/high-availability

https://docs.uipath.com/studio/standalone/2023.4/user-guide/design-best-practices

Hope this helps

Cheers @ykl220

1 Like

Hope it’s clarified
If yes would recommend to close this topic

Cheers @ykl220