Upgrading UiPath Orchestrator v2019.10 to v2023.4.4

Hi
As background, I recently take over UiPath maintenance and are not very familiar with this and are not proficient in the UiPath Orchestrator architecture, there were some knowledge that was passed to me before the employee left which is more on development.

Currently, the Orchestrator version we have has reached its extended end of life support (v2019.10), and hence, I am planning to upgrade our Orchestrator Version from v2019.10 to v2023.4.4 (license has been renewed with new SKU), with this I have thought of different approaches for this upgrade process and with that a lot of questions regarding this migration.

Scenario 1. Upgrade version by version v2019.10 to v2021 then from v2021 to v2023
with the reason that 2019 to 2021 can be upgraded with direct install which i believe 2021 to 2023 is the same. Assuming less hassle/issue with this method

Scenario 2. Upgrade direct v2019 to v2023

However with both approaches I’d like to try to do the upgrade within UAT environment first,
which I found out that previously, we had issue with connecting Orchestrator App to Orchestrator DB exclusively in UAT, hence no UAT orchestrator available.

To resolve this,
Scenario 3. I have thought to mirror Production environment Orchestrator servers to UAT environment

Question 1. For Scenario 3.
1a) If I successfully mirror, how about licensing, I recall there is a separate license for UAT server. ?
1b) What are the primary changes I need to ensure before the mirroring, I didn’t manage to find any resource on prod->uat?
1c) How do I switch the license from prod to UAT?
1d) I believe I read somewhere that UAT orchestrator is different (installation package). If i am unable to mirror do I have to install 2019.10 uat package to simulate upgrade from 2019.10 to 2023.4.4?
1e) Is upgrading from UAT to prod reliable?

Question 2. For Scenario 1 and 2.
2a) Do i have to install on every installed UiRobot PC the latest Studio/Robot version?
2b) Can I install by phases where I installed new Orchestrator version first then Studio/Robot version at a later date/time?
2c) Considering yes for 2b) will existing deployed robot package works without redeploying on newer studio version?
2d) What about dependencies, do i have to ensure that dependencies still working, if i am to make an update to the existing deployed robot package?

I feel like there are more questions bottled but I’d like to know these first

for this question the compatibility matrix can be checked:

1 Like

I see seems like for 2a) it is still compatible, thank you!

Hi requesting advise on this appreciate all the answers

I would suggest you to reach UiPath support team to help on this.

If you want to do it your self, Take your DB backup before doing any changes.

Lift and shift method is always best approach for version gap,Refer This

Coming to mirror - > DON’T DO THAT
You can install 2019 orch with new SQL DB as UAT and do the lift and shift method. 2019 → 2023
Note:- You should have license for UAT orchestrator. Don’t switch license between uat and prod licenses.

Orchestrator Upgrade Paths: https://docs.uipath.com/overview/other/latest/overview/orchestrator-upgrade-paths

To switch the license from Orchestrator to another, you will need to use the host tenant. In one you will remove the license, in another you will activate, and vice versa.

We recommend to have the latest robot versions installed as numerous improvements and bugs was performed during the time. But for compatibility you need to check this documentation https://docs.uipath.com/overview/other/latest/overview/compatibility-matrix