UiPath Community 20.10 Stable Release - Test Suite

UiPath Community 20.10 Stable Release

Test Suite

RPA Testing

RPA Development has matured throughout the last year and more and more RPA engineers apply similar practices like in Software Development. RPA code is versioned in GIT, commits are reviewed, and the deployment process is very often integrated into a pipeline on Jenkins or Azure Devops.

Taking this fact into account, we are missing one important are of any DevOps chain – Testing.

RPAs represent business critical software that can save a lot of money when running smoothly, but lead to business failure when broken.

We believe that RPA requires continuous development and therefore continuous testing, if it should be scaled up on enterprise level.

This is why we added a set of very useful features to Studio Pro, which help you assure a consistent quality of your RPAs.

Here is what we added in 20.10:

Activity Coverage Panel

Creating the right Test Cases for your workflow is not always easy – by calculating the coverage of your activities, we allow you to get a full picture of the quality of your Test Cases. In 20.10 we moved this information into a separate panel which will (1) display the covergae of your entire workflow, (2) the contribution of each Test Case executed and (3) let you highlight the covered/uncovered paths of your workflow.

image038

Mocking

If you are familiar with Software Development and Unit Testing, you might know the concept of Mocking – simulating behavior/objects within your Test Case for the purpose of (1) removing dependencies and (2) focusing on your actual test purpose.

In 20.10 Studio Pro now lets you mock activities within your Test Case, so that you can remove outside dependencies like systems that are not available within your test environment. Our approach is non-invasive, not touching your initial workflow at all, which gives your great flexibility without introducing any issues within your workflow.

image040

Test Data Management

Test data is critical for any Testing and drives the outcome and purpose of your Test Case. On average, more than 50% of your entire testing time is spent on creating and provisioning the right test data.

With 20.10 we introduce a new solution, allowing you to (1) Manage test data centrally and (2) create synthetic test data.

Synthetic Test Data Activities

While in past years often production data was used for testing, data protection regulations such as GDPR have now closed this gap. The answer is Synthetic Test Data, data that is created synthetically, but meets the requirements of your test case.

Our Testing Activity Pack now includes a section called ‘Data’, which provides several activities that allow you to create typed synthetic data for your test cases.

The package includes among others the following activities:

• Given Name. This activity will return a common given name
  • Last Name. This activity will return a common last name
  • Random Number. This activity allows you to create a random number including decimal places
  • Random String. This activity lets you generate a random string with a certain case
  • Random Date. This activity returns a random date within a specified range
  • Address. This activity returns a real address including Country, City, Street name …
  • Random Value. This activity allows you to reference a 1-column csv sheet and will pick a random value out of this sheet during runtime.

Test Data Queues

The purpose of Test Data Queues is to provide a central place to store your data and consume it from. While they behave similar as standard queues, we tried to emphasize on ease of use.

Test Data Queues are available directly within the ‘Testing’ section of Orchestrator, and let you store data and view it in a table-like format.

Test Orchestration

The testing section within Orchestrator allows you to manage, orchestrate and distribute Test Case throughout your robots.

In 20.10 we added the following new capabilities:

• Screenshots on Passed/Failed verifications

Analyzing test results is time-consuming. We allow you to automatically generate a screenshot during your verifications and store it centrally on Orchestrator. This is now also possible for passed verifications.

• Execution Media support

Execution Media has turned out to be very helpful when it comes to debugging a process running on a remote machine. In this release you can also use this handy feature for your Test Sets.

• Create Test Sets from Test Case section

In 20.10 you can now simply multi-select Test Cases within the ‘Test Case’ section, and create a new Test Set in a matter of a few clicks.

9 Likes

I’m excited by this release. Kudos on bringing Mocking to UiPath TA - this brings the platform closer to a cutting-edge test automation solution anywhere else :v:

I’m looking forward to more information on how to use the following features

• Mocking
  • Execution Media
  • Synthetic Test Data

I am guessing the documentation for RPA testing will be updated soon?

2 Likes

Hi Anupamck, documentation will cover that and we will release further videos on our Youtube channel as well.
For any specific questions, pls do not hesitate to post them.
BR

2 Likes

@ThomasStocker hey i m automation test engineer i love uipath test suite features but as per my understanding when we do data driven testing there is some concern for me this data driven functionality using one excel sheet but supposed we need 2 to 4 excel sheet to provide the data and then take into the tc then this data driven functionality not satisfied the condition if we have same sets of data in one sheet thats f9 but if we have different set of data in different sheet it should fetch number of sheet.

Hope you understand my question !

Hi @Atishay_Shrivastava - I don’t fully understand the scenario here. You should be able to consolidate all the static Test Data into a single excel sheet.

If you have different sets of data in different sheets, then the assumption there is that you have multiple test cases. In this scenario, you can assign different Test Data to each test case. When you assign Test Data to a Test Case, you can choose the sheet to use.

Lastly, with the new Test Data Queue and Synthetic Test Data activities, you can better handle your test data dynamically.

Can I use multiple functionalities as part of single functionality(integrating the different functionalities)into one test case?

Hi @swethagodi

I don’t understand your question. Do you want to know if you can test multiple functionalities within the same workflow with one test case?

If so, I would actually advise against it. It makes for better error traceability to include a separate test case for every functionality.