Excel - How to deal with Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

A few workarounds to the common error code 0x800A03EC.

Before you check it out, please make sure you are running the latest available stable Excel package from our Official feed.

If you have encountered this error during your Excel processing, please make sure:

  • you can access the file your are working on
    (in case of shared drives -> the file is not open by another user)
  • the file is not open already open in a non-standard editing mode (read-only, password-protected, etc)
  • there is no conflicting Excel processes running in the background

To solve the issue, one could try to:

  • add a delay between operation on the Excel file (if the issue comes from two actions on the same file in the short amount of time)
  • make sure the Excel process is closed before the Excel Application Scope starts working on a file
    (i.e. by killing all running Excel processes)

Pleas also reference these topics about the issue:
https://forum.uipath.com/search?q=0x800A03EC%20in%3Asolved
(they all contain a post marked as a potential solution)

Let us know if you encounter this issue and it cannot be solved by the above mentioned suggestions.
We would love to know your particular scenario to be able to better address this general issue.

6 Likes

Hi @loginerror,

I am facing this error when using Background Process Template and creating Excel file. I have been using State Machine for the same process and it was working fine. I have recently converted my Project to run in Background using background Process Template and it throws this error.

I have checked, it is the first excel application scope of the project and Excel is not running in the background as well while I run the project.

For your information, i am running this automation on an unattended BOT when this error is occured, however when i run it from studio, it works well.

Could you please suggest possible solutions to this ?

Thanks

Hi,

We had a number of these Excel error codes after an enterprise update from 18.4.3 --> 19.10.4. The issue turned out to be with reaching the add-in that came with UiPath Studio X. Add-ins were disabled by our organisation (same way as macros may be disabled), but since there is no option to enable add-ins on excel application scope, this caused an issue. We removed the add-in and everything was back to normal. It is ambigious how Studio X activities, the add-in, activities from the UiPath Team’s Excel Extension Package and the standard UiPath Excel packages are linked. I am not sure why the Studio X add-in affects the Excel Application Scope, I presume it supposed to enhance integration with Excel.

We had another issue that we have previously identified with a simlar code (before the update). It was due to a macro being run by the run macro activity. If we ran the macro manually it worked, if we ran the macro with the run macro acitity we ran out of RAM after a while. Adding Application.ScreenUpdating = False and Application.xlCalculation = Manual solved the issue.

Kind regards,
Balint