Unable to create dynamic folders while running the move activity?

Hello UiPath Community,

I was working on the File and Folder Automation with StudioX exercise when I first encountered the error. Within the exercise, I was unable to create a dynamic folder while using the MOVE FILE activity as it showed the following error message (Activity Move File ( Move File ) failed:!
Could not find a part of the path.). To troubleshoot the error, I decided to manually create the folder and then the automation worked.

My Hypothesis to why the problem arises: I feel my automation is not creating a folder based on the dynamic path (as seen in the attachment) and thus stops.

How can I resolve this problem such that I can easily create dynamic

folders while using the MOVE FILE activity

Hello @Shobhit_Bhatnagar!

It seems that you have trouble getting an answer to your question in the first 24 hours.
Let us give you a few hints and helpful links.

First, make sure you browsed through our Forum FAQ Beginner’s Guide. It will teach you what should be included in your topic.

You can check out some of our resources directly, see below:

1. Always search first. It is the best way to quickly find your answer. Check out the image icon for that.
    Clicking the options button will let you set more specific topic search filters, i.e. only the ones with a solution.

2. Topic that contains most common solutions with example project files can be found here.

3. Read our official documentation where you can find a lot of information and instructions about each of our products:

4. Watch the videos on our official YouTube channel for more visual tutorials.

5. Meet us and our users on our Community Slack and ask your question there.

Hopefully this will let you easily find the solution/information you need. Once you have it, we would be happy if you could share your findings here and mark it as a solution. This will help other users find it in the future.

Thank you for helping us build our UiPath Community!

Cheers from your friendly
Forum_Staff

Hello @Shobhit_Bhatnagar

While I do agree that there is a desire to have more functionality in the Move File activity, the documentation of this activity does not claim to create a folder that does not exist in your destination path. At least not in the current version.

I would recommend the following:
Use the StudioX Folder Exists activity to check if a folder already exists
If not, use Create Folder Activity to create your target folder in your dynamic path
Finally invoke the Move File activity to make the move.

If that solution works, it is evident that a dynamic folder path is currently out of scope of the capability of the Move File activity

Alternately, here is the link to the documentation page that will link you to a few examples:

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks @AndyMenon for your response and sharing the documentation resource. I feel your solution to use the Folder Exists activity is great and can easily resolve the folder creation capability that i was looking for within the Move File activity

Great!

Thanks for the update @Shobhit_Bhatnagar. I’m glad you have a resolution! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.