Unable to automate custom dropdown like web control

uiautomation
web
selection

#1

Can some one try and automate the website xe.com’s currency conversion process.

Steps:

  1. Open website www.xe.com
  2. In the amount text box type 1000
  3. In the from currency type EUR or EUR - Euro which ever works for you.
  4. In the to currency type INR or INR - Indian Rupee which ever works for you.
  5. Click Convert button.
  6. Display the Converted amount in message box.

I tried many things but I am unable to go through steps 3 & 4.
Click & Type Into does not seems to be working for me.
Click, Type Into & Send Keys does not seems to be working.
Recording does not seems to be working for me as well.

Thanks!!!


#2

Works fine for me with Type Into. Are you getting any errors?

image

"<webctrl id='from' tag='INPUT' />"

image


#3

Alternatively, you could use “Navigate to” activity and go directly to the result page using the query parameters. Construct the url using String.Format method.
Declare the amount, currency to and currency from as input arguments, while the converted value will be an output argument. This way the workflow can be reused for different currencies.

See attached example:
XEConverter.xaml (8.7 KB)
Main.xaml (6.2 KB)


#4

Thanks Silviu, I was aware of the direct navigation possibility. But for me the challenge was that I was unable to set value on the custom drop-downs.


#5

did you try to use select item


#6

hey dwshowtime, its not a normal select. So select item will not work.


#7

have you tried to pass currency name in selector

<html app='chrome.exe' title='XE: Convert EUR/INR. Euro Member Countries to India Rupee' />
<webctrl parentid='from_scroller' tag='LI' aaname='USD - US Dollar' idx='1' />

try passing variable at <aaname=' currency val'/>

sorry if you already tried and you don’t want to do in this way


#8

In case if you haven’t found the solution using type into(IE)

dropdown.xaml (11.0 KB)


#9

vvaidya, I checked your solution and I think what I was missing was ClickBeforeTyping option which was causing issues for me. Whatever I was trying was getting overridden by the default behavior of