Same machine used in Classic and Modern for Unattended. Possible?

Is it possible to have the same machine defined for Unattended automation in a Classic folder and for Modern folder use?

There is some information here which makes me think it can’t be done, but looking to see if anyone has ideas?

Having just moved to v2020 all our existing processes are in Classic folders. We would like to run some Modern folder processes parallel before we move all across. We only have one machine for unattended automation.

1 Like

Hello @cshan,

This is a tricky one. Let’s try to break it down.

1. A standard machine can only be used in classic folders. So that means you cannot define a standard machine in a Modern Folder and hence you will have to create a Machine Template in Modern Folder.

2. Robots in modern folders are managed from Management / Users Section. So given that you already have a standard machine defined with a standard robot you have ensure that the user ID used to run the robot is created under users section as a Orchestrator User & ‘Automatically create an unattended robot for this user’ setting is enabled (As Shown Below).

Once you have done both these things. You can continue to use the standard robot in the Classic Folder and the new floating robot created in the Modern Folder. But note that you can’t run both the robot at the same time this is because you have only 1 unattended robot license.

Hope that helps ! Kudos :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nithin

2 Likes

Nithin, thanks for the response!

I tried doing what you mentioned.

1. Standard Machine for Robot Server 1 (This set up is unchanged from before upgrade to v2020)
  2. Robot defined in Classic folder (now I see “Licensed” on Robot Server)
  3. The same Robot User is set up for automatic creation of Unattended Robot
  4. Add Robot User to my Modern Folder

Now when I attempt to execute a process in that Modern Folder with that Robot, I get the following issue:

I think if the problem is I need this user’s UiPath Robot Service to connect to a machine template, how could I manage it so that some users connect to different machines? If possible, can I manage the licenses between the two?

By the way in this scenario I have two NonProduction licences, not one.

1 Like

Hello @cshan,

Have you created a Machine Template in your Modern Folder ?

Regards,
Nithin

Hey Nithin,

I do, but I can’t use its Machine key on the Robot Server or else my Classic Folder Robots won’t be able to connect to their Folders. This is the main area I’m having difficulties. Trying to find a way to have users on the same machine connect to different machine keys.

1 Like

Hello @cshan,

I missed that part one machine can have only 1 machine key. So it can be either connect to the standard robot created on the classic folder or the machine template created on the modern folders. Can’t be both.

Hope that helps ! Kudos :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nithin

3 Likes

Thanks Nithin, I had pretty much already come to that conclusion but it was nice to work through it with you to confirm. I was hopeful :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.