Running robot on remote server

Hello everyone. I’ve recently began learning RPA and this is my first post here.

My question is - can I perform work on my machine while a robot is running?

I believe the answer to my question is no, so I’m thinking the best thing is to run it on a server. If I want to run a scheduled process (let’s say once a day) on a server with RDC, how can I do it? What are the prerequisites? Do I need to download Studio and Robot on the server? Should I always have a RDC in order for the process to run? This is my first real productive automation and any advice will be very helpful.

Thank you!

Your first question… the answer is Yes you can create process workflows which can run in background…
now the second part …
You can run a scheduled process on server with RDC you just need to download Robot on that machine,which will execute the process hence no studio installation required for that machine

Thank you for the reply! How can I run a workflow in the background? Can the workflow perform any activities?

I would like to run a uipath bot through the orchestrator on a (virtualized) server, this server already has an active session, but I get an error when the bot is executed through the orchestrator trigger, this only happens when I close the window of the windows remote desktop, but the session is still active.
When I have remote desktop open, everything works fine.

Please, what requirements do I have to configure on the server, is it a windows server 2012r2?

Don’t disconnect from the session. You’re still holding the session so Orchestrator can’t log in. SIGN OUT of the remote session before trying run unattended automations.

Excuse me, I think I misrepresented my problem. What I do first is configure the trigger on the orchestrator (so that it runs in 10 min), then I close the remote session, but the session on the server is active. After about 15 minutes I connect to it through the remote desktop, but the bot crashed.

I am attaching a screenshot of the system message, it is in Spanish but I will translate it:

"Connection to remote desktop

! The remote session will be disconnected

The programs will continue to run after being disconnected. To reconnect to this session later, please log in again. "

“”

Do you think you can help me remotely or some tips to find the solution?

Don’t do this. LOG OUT of the session completely. By closing the remote session it is still active and then Orchestrator cannot use it.

How could I program the bot to run on the remote server without me being connected by the remote desktop of windows server 2012r2?

I think that when I leave the remote desktop the session on the server is still active. In the first photo is when I am going to leave, the second photo is when I re-enter, and the cmd is still active, that means that the session on the server is always active.

This is what I keep telling you. SIGN OUT of the session. Click the Windows icon in the lower left and then click the username then click SIGN OUT. Then try to run the automation from Orchestrator.

But if I log out of the server, the orchestrator will not be able to work, that way I also tried. Or how should I configure windows server to run the bot that previously configured the trigger in the orchestrator? all in an unattended way because I want it to run at 3 in the morning.

Your system is not set up correctly. You should NOT be logged into the session.
Orchestrator initiates the session.

What is the error message in Orchestrator when you try to run a job unattended, after SIGNING OUT of the session?