Questions: Installer Front Office Robot / Installation instructions

OK, now I understand, thanks a lot!
Yet I got new questions:
1, So you are saying that we can use studio as a robot with a studio license? If yes, what’s the point of purchasing back office robot, which is more expensive but not compulsory.
2, Noticed that you mention back office and front office, I wonder if all the robots can be divided into two types (Back Office and Front Office), and the only difference is if any manual operation during the process.
Appreciate it a lot if you can kindly reply.

With the back office license you can run on machines which are locked, there are some other limitations and also it is based on honesty when working at enterprise level. If you are only using for personal use then Back Office license is never necessary.

Yes Front Office robots work alongside, or are triggered by a user or agent. The licenses for these type of robots are considerably cheaper but you generally need more as you need one per machine.

3 Likes

OK thank you!
Last question: which license is more expensive, the studio or the Back office.
Thank you!

Back Office

3 Likes

Please like my posts :slight_smile: I’m trying to catch up with @aksh1yadav haha!

9 Likes

Hahhaa :slight_smile: :wink: Rich… Well I will like everypost :stuck_out_tongue: hehe and now i guess you will be at that place :slight_smile: becoz :wink:

4 Likes

thx!!
But I am still confused why people bought back office license since the studio license is cheaper and can do the back office work.

Sorry bothering you again

Because that’s against the license terms. Same way it is technically possible to do enterprise level applications with VisualStudio Community. That doesn’t make it legal either (not even going into ethics, as that’s pretty clear I think).

1 Like

@andrzej.kniola I am sure there is some physical restriction as well…just can’t remember what it is.

You mean in VS or UiPath?
In VS it’s mostly large-team support (which there are other tools for as well) and licensing.
In UiPath… maybe? Depending on version I guess. Don’t really know.

OK Got it.
thanks for your kindly reply!

I am not able to understand one thing that - Do I need to Connect to a Remote Desktop Connection to configure the robot with the orchestrator(i.e is it required that the orchestrator to which i am trying to configure the robot be present on different machines) or I can configure the robot with the orchestartor running on the same machine.

Orchestrator needs to be installed on Windows Server, so…technically you could run on the same machine but the typical setup would be to have Orchestrator on Windows Server and a separate VDI to run the robot.

Once installed you can access Orchestrator via https so you can view Orchestrator from the VDI (assuming connections allow it).

@andrzej.kniola is my first statement correct?

1 Like

It’s definitely the typical (and also recommended) setup to have Orchestrator separately. With newer versions as App Service or a dedicated server (cluster/failover etc.).

No, you don’t RDC to Orchestrator, you connect to it like a webpage.
I’d recommend going through the Orchestrator training in Academy and/or this: https://orchestrator.uipath.com/v2016.2/docs/introduction

Orchestrator is the central hub for robots. Having it on each machine would defeat the purpose.

2 Likes

Oh okay…i got it!
Thanks to both of you. @andrzej.kniola @richarddenton :slight_smile:

9 posts were split to a new topic: Studio & Robot licensing in specific scenario

hello @andrzej.kniola, @richarddenton, @aksh1yadav,

Could someone please guide me how to run a published package from the DEV machine on TEST machine without Orchestrator.

I do not have UIpath Studio or Orchestrator configured.

I only have UIpath back end Robot running in system tray on TEST server.

hello all,
could someone let me know if i can use uipath studio where only licensed attended bot is installed?
I have installed licensed uipath studio on other laptop for development.

Hi guys,

How do you think it would help you if UiPath Robot had its own installer?

Thank you,
Bogdan