Project.json couldn not be opened: illegal characters in path

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install new packages in UIPath Studio Pro. It messed up the root directory somehow and I can’t open the existing UIPath files or create a new one. All UIPath says is the following:

The project ‘…fullpath…\project.json’ couldnt be opened: Illegal characters in path.

Is there any way to fix this? I really appreciate if someone helps me. Excessive googling didnt end up anywhere. I also reinstalled UIPath but no luck. Please help.

Hi mate,

Just delete the Project.json file present in your process folder and then restart the file again.

Hope it helps,

something like this? I tried but it gives the same error. Thanks for the suggestion Sahil

Usually when this error occurs , Project.json file deletion works and project is restarted then.

Check you had deleted Project.json file once from project folder

Hi Sahil, thanks for checking. I deleted project.json file but no luck. It seems something else related. Im attaching the error code. I think this is related to System.IO.Path that was messed up during nuget related package installation.

12:19:55.9370 => [ERROR] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] Cannot open item: UiPath.Studio.Contracts.RecoverableException: The project ‘C:\Users~~~\Documents\UiPath\BlankProcess3\project.json’ could not be opened: Illegal characters in path… —> System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.GetRootLength(String path)
at System.IO.Path.GetPathRoot(String path)
at NuGet.Configuration.Settings.ResolvePath(String configDirectory, String value)
at NuGet.Configuration.Settings.ResolveRelativePath(String originDirectoryPath, String originFilePath, String path)
at NuGet.Configuration.Settings.ResolvePathFromOrigin(String originDirectoryPath, String originFilePath, String path)
at NuGet.Configuration.AddItem.GetValueAsPath()
at NuGet.Configuration.PackageSourceProvider.ReadPackageSource(SourceItem setting, Boolean isEnabled)
at NuGet.Configuration.PackageSourceProvider.LoadPackageSourceLookup(Boolean byName)
at NuGet.Configuration.PackageSourceProvider.LoadPackageSources()
at NuGet.Configuration.SettingsUtility.GetEnabledSources(ISettings settings)
at UiPath.NuGet.UiPathUtils.GetConfiguredSources()
at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.Packaging.PackageOperationBase.GetInstallPackageCommand(IEnumerable1 packagesToInstall, CancellationToken cancellationToken, String alternateInstallDir) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.Packaging.PackageOperationBase.<RestoreInternal>d__23.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.Packaging.PackageOperationBase.<>c__DisplayClass22_0.<<Restore>b__0>d.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.Packaging.PackageOperationRestore.<Execute>d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.Packaging.PackageService.<RestoreProjectAsync>d__17.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Shared.Project.BaseWorkflowProjectFactory.<InitializeNewProjectModel>d__52.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Shared.Project.BaseWorkflowProjectFactory.<OpenAsyncInternal>d__44.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Shared.Project.BaseWorkflowProjectFactory.<OpenAsync>d__43.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.PersistableServiceBase3.d__19.MoveNext()
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.PersistableServiceBase3.<OnOpenAsync>d__19.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.CommonServices.ProjectServiceBase.<OnOpenAsync>d__52.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at UiPath.Studio.Core.CommonServices.ProjectServiceBase.<OnOpenAsync>d__52.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Core.Services.PersistableServiceBase3.d__10.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Core.CommonServices.OpenCloseCommandsService.d__23.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Core.CommonServices.OpenCloseCommandsService.d__22.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Core.CommonServices.OpenCloseCommandsService.d__28.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.StartPageViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass52_0.<b__0>d.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.StartPageViewModel.d__53.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.StartPageViewModel.d__52.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.App.Desktop.MVVM.Commands.TaskCommand`3.d__32.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.b__6_0(Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2146233088

Hey Sahil, I deleted the project.json file and the same bizarre error. I think system directory path was messed during nuget installation. I attached the error code. thanks for checking

Hi @varlmes

What happens when you go to this path in your Windows?

C:\Users~~~\Documents\UiPath\BlankProcess3\project.json

It is a really bizarre one.

Hi @loginerror

The project.json file exists and doesnt look like anything wrong with it. I believe something with the system directory. What might happened was i tried to manually add SharepointCustomActivities in Packages section because i couldnt install automatically. The path location of the file might be wrong. Since then, I cant open any single UIPath file or create a new file. I tried to reinstall UiPath many times. Is there any clean UIPath installation manual somewhere to wipe all UIPath directories in the computer and fresh reinstall UiPath?

1 Like

Hi @loginerror

After keep checking how to fresh install UIPath, your previous post on how to fix UIPath installation issue solved the problem. Here is the link: How to fix your Studio installation / Licensing issues. Step 3 in that post is essential to remove any residual files from previous UIPath version.

I still cannot recover my previous UIPath files but at least the software works. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.