How to use Document Understanding activities

Hi everyone,

I just received a trial license for Document Understanding in the Automation Cloud. So far the UI in the Automation Cloud was very intuitive but now I tried to built my own first Studio Workflow that should extract the information from 2 scanned ID cards and send a validation action to the action center.

I am trying to use this package:

With these activities inside:

And my workflow so far looks like this:

So my first question is: How do I hand over my file(s)/documents to the “Extract Document Data” activity? The input variable is of type IResource which is something I have not encountered before, but saw surprisingly often now in the newer activity packages. Is there some new concept of handling files in UiPath that I am not aware of?
So far when handing over files there was always a small “folder” button in the activities which would open a file browser but in the end there was usually a file path stored as a string variable.
I also cannot find any training or documentation on this topic (well maybe I don’t know where to look).

The second question is: The “Create Validation Task” doesn’t have ANY properties. How does that work? Don’t I have to input the extracted document data somehow?

Is there any up to date documentation or training for how to use these activities that you could point me to?

@nazraxo

1. IlocalResource can be obtained by using path exists in studio activities….where you need to provide the required file path and output is a ilocalresource as need …can check the output panel. as of now this is the way there is no direct way to get ilocalresource

https://docs.uipath.com/document-understanding/automation-cloud/latest/user-guide/extract-document-data

1. I believe if you check the properties panel you would be able to see the options to enter the input extracted results from precious activity

https://docs.uipath.com/activities/other/latest/user-guide/create-validation-task-and-wait

Both are basically designed for studio web where local files are not supported so these changes

Hope this helps

Cheers

1 Like

Hello,

These references will be helpful:

1. Overview of Document Understanding framework - the stages described here cover all steps that you can include when building a document processing robot in Studio. Do note that in a robot, you may not need to include all stages for example if you’re only processing one document type (in your case, ID cards), you won’t need to do perform document classification.
    Document Understanding - Introduction (uipath.com)

2. Studio template for Document Understanding - you can try this template out or use it as a reference to see what activities are used in a Document Understanding project: Document Understanding - Document Understanding Process: Studio Template (uipath.com)

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the clarification! I was not aware that there are activities which can be imported into regular Studio but only be used in Studio Web, so that explains a lot. Even the properties panel of the Create Validation Task and Wait activity is indeed empty, that was what irked me so much.

Regarding the datatype I have a follow-up: So the output of Path Exists is an ILocalResource but some activities require input as IResource, I saw no error when trying to use the same variable in both fields but might this be an issue in any way?

@yikwen.goo thanks for the resources this is very helpful

@nazraxo

For the IResource also we dont have the implementation to directly get or convert…so for now you can use move file activity which will give output as IResource…

Hope this helps

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.