How to fix Config file?

Hi. I created Config.xlsx file for my project. And I published the project but when I change the excel file after the publish value doesn’t change. But I want to after publishing my project I want to change my values. How can I do that ?

2 Likes

Hi
Once after publishing the package if we make any changes in the config file being inside the project folder
We need to republish that process and then update that package version in orchestrator
Only then the changes will get reflected

Cheers @sufyant

2 Likes

I am not using Orchestrator now.do we have to do republish?

2 Likes

Fine may I know how this was done
Like if it’s is just published to studio feed and ran from Robot tray any how we need to open the main xaml of that project whose config file was modified and re publish it

Cheers @sufyant

2 Likes

Hey Guys

If the confile file is inside the project folder, after publishing you dont need to publish again if any change is done to config file. In the place you give the file path to that config file, just make sure you give the full file path instead of the partial file path. This will always refer to the file in the local machine instead of referring to the file in the published solution in orchestrator. This helps to change the config file without publishing again…

Also keep in mind, this folder path and the file should be available in all machines the process is running…

1 Like

I mean I published in Studio

2 Likes

Yah if that is mentioned with full path it would work even without republishing it

But won’t that affect when that project is migrated from one environment to another one like from dev to test and test to prod
Where we need to ensure again the same folder structure

Instead of we have mentioned the relative path config file being inside the project folder just a republish can help us right na buddy

Cheers @Lahiru.Fernando @sufyant

2 Likes

Hi. I published my project in Studio I didn’t use Orchestrator and I ran my project with Robot.But when I change the value in the excel file, my project does not detect the new value. can i do that?

Kindly do the same process of publishing (that you did earlier) if the config placed inside the project folder and if its edited and if absolute path mentioned
so that it will get updated and then will reflect when ran

Cheers @sufyant

2 Likes

My config file inside the project file. I’ve tried but didn’t worked. But I will try one more time and I will inform you

Very true @Palaniyappan bro… that’s a good point. :slight_smile:

Well, there are different approaches. Yours is one… These can actually fall in as the defined best practices of the organization…

Well, some may think that republish can have downsides as the code will also get published again… you know… different ways of thinking… :slight_smile:
In that case we suggest to have that full path without republish and make sure to have the same folder structure in all environments…

So yeah, both has it’s own pros and cons… and it depends on which suits you the best as I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To comply with business standards, you may actually want to redeploy/publish any setting changes with the config, so a version history/control is maintained on that file and any changes that negatively impact the process can easily be mitigated.

On the other hand, a business tends to put up hurdles you have to jump over any time you need to make a deployment to dev and then from dev to production. Although, placing the config in a shared location is but a workaround to skipping all those hurdles and sign offs needed for the business to approve a setting change.

Simply use the full filepath (“\servername\foldername\config.xlsx”) instead of “config.xlsx” (cause the relative path will only look inside the packaged folder that is created when you publish, requiring that it’s published again to see the updated file)

Alternatively, you can place the settings as Assets rather than in a config file.

However, as I said, you lose version control when you take this workaround. You can do the same thing with workflows too, like use an Invoke to call the full filepath to the workflow, then any changes you make to the workflow does not need to be published. These workarounds can also cause some confusion as to which workflow is the correct workflow to be updated, if you begin to use version control tools that store your code in a cloud/server environment (like Azure Devops for example). It’s definitely a workaround we are moving away from, to avoid these complications.

The deployment from Dev to Prod does need to be easier so these workarounds aren’t so appealing :laughing:

5 Likes

Still not working. Doesn’t detect when I change the config file after I publish it

Hmm that would actually work buddy
Is that file saved after editing and have we re-published the right process
Kindly check that once
Cheers @sufyant

1 Like

I didn’t republish

1 Like

Aah we need to buddy
@sufyant

1 Like

Is this necessary ?. I want to change Config file after the publish for example

Fine
If that process is already published
And if that config file is placed inside that project folder
And if relative path is mention for that file
And if we want to change the file and then make use of it
Then yes. For this

Only then it will reflect
@sufyant

1 Like

okay I understood.Thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.