I’m dealing with a peculiar problem. The robot for reading and categorizing emails on my computer works without any problem. The problem occurs when converting to a production machine, where the “Get Outlook Mail Messages” activity returns the error message “The specified folder does not exist” even though the folder exists.
I have tried several ways to solve this problem, but none of them worked. I am attaching a list of everything I have tried.
1 - Use the full path to the folder,
2 - Delete the account under which the robot reads mail,
3 - Use the “Outlook” in account name instead,
4 - Using PowerShell I tried to get the folder and its path information, the account and folder is visible, but the robot always reports an error.
The commands are here: