Alerts are not being generated

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding, but the alerts in the Orchestrator are not working as should expect as, for example, I do not get any alerts when a job fails. (I’ve tried all the filters. You can see the alerts on my profile are set correctly.

I also tried raising an alert directly in a workflow in Studio, it also did not alert me in the orchestrator. Is this a bug? I have the issue on other Orchestrators too.

Have you configured the email settings so Orchestrator can send emails?

I’m not asking about emails, I’m asking about alerts in the Orchestrator. I’m aware you can also have it email you these alerts, but I don’t care about that. I want to see plain old alerts in the orchestrator. The only ones I see are when Actions are assigned to me.

Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize that was your issue. Are others able to see the alerts?

No worries Paul, thanks for trying to help anyway.

The only alerts I see are if I am assigned a task in the action centre by a bot or another user and if a robot gets disconnected.

Any alerts from any other source are not present at all.
Jobs, Queues, transactions. None of them display any alerts in the Orchestrator and as I mentioned ‘Raise Alert’ doesn’t appear anywhere I can see in the Orchestrator.

I have access to multiple Orchestrators through other clients and it seems consistent among them, I am an admin too with access everywhere so I can view the jobs and queues where things fails and should be leaving an alert.

Hi @Jon_Smith

This is strange. Just for clarity - are all of those Orchestrators using hosted via our cloud.uipath.com or are some of them on premise?

Due to several factors that might be involved, if you are on the Enterprise plan you should try contacting our technical support for direct assistance, either via the cloud form if on cloud:

or technical support form if on premise:

Yes, its on all the cloud orchestrators I use.

Its the same across multiple orchestrators as I have access to various organisations which is what leads me to think it was an issue to do with my understanding and why I posted here first.

I’ll contact support and raise a ticket.

Thanks Maciej

1 Like

Please check these minimum requirements for an Automation User to be able to start receiving email Alerts are listed below:

• To view alerts, users require the tenant permission Alerts - View. This allows them to see all tenant-level alerts.
  • At the folder level, users can only see alerts for the folders to which they are assigned.
  • Auto-provisioned directory users do not inherit alert subscription settings from the parent group, nor do they receive any alerts by default. To allow users to view alerts, explicitly grant the corresponding permissions to users.
  • The Automation User should have Web Login access at least once to Orchestrator Tenant in order to receive relevant Alerts.

Reference:

https://docs.uipath.com/orchestrator/standalone/2023.4/user-guide/alerts#:~:text=Folders-,IMPORTANT,-%3A

So the answer to this was at the bottom of the alerts documentation. Perhaps not the best location for such key information.

Auto-provisioned directory users do not inherit alert subscription settings from the parent group, nor do they receive any alerts by default. To allow users to view alerts, explicitly grant the corresponding permissions to users.

Basically, if you use groups to assign users to folders you can wave goodbye to any alerts. You have to add people individually to get alerts, which is an annoying / odd /counter intuitive design choice in my opinion, but thats how it works.

So, assign a user individually to a folder and you’ll get an alert, otherwise they are basically disabled.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This sounds like a big bug to me, I am having the same problem…I would like all the members from a group to receive failure emails if a job is failing :frowning_face: Did you found any other good solution for this issue, rather than adding explicitly the users to the folders?

Sadly not Oana, its not limited to alerts either, it seems like if you assign robots to a group they also do not get ‘seen’ in the correct way so jobs do not get picked up by them and you instead have to assign them individually which really sucks.

As for the alerts, the only workaround I could suggest is to set up a generic email account and have a rule on it to automatically forward the message to the relevant group of people.

We solved it by centralising the alerts in a generic email account and having all relevant people view that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to use a generic email account too.

Its worth noting, I have had some inconsistent results with the punctuality of the alerts, sometimes they are generated very fast, other times I have had an alert not be generated until 12 hours after a job has failed. I cannot explain why this is the case.

It seems that you have to directly assign permission on Tenant and then on Folder to be able to receive alerts, even if the user already has the same permission inherited from groups. This is quite cumbersome and is not well explained in the documentation.

Not inheriting Alerts permissions from groups seems to be a bug.

It is explicitly indicated in the documentation, although it was poorly placed in my opinion and not explained well. Its not a bug however and appears to be a deliberate choice.
I feel its the wrong choice, but that’s an opinion.

Actually it is not necessary to add every and each person individually to folders in order they to get alerts.
To grant users access to alerts, you are required to grant the corresponding permissions (assign roles) to the user explicitly. Which means that they need a “Direct role assignment” at Tenant level since the role assignment “Inherited from groups” is not sufficient the users auto-provisioned from the respective group to get alerts.

Unless they changed it since last year you are incorrect.
In order to get alerts about failed jobs the user must have been added directly to that folder and do not get it inherited from permissions. This was in the documentation but poorly placed as I indicated above.

I have tested it within UiPath Orchestrator 2022.10.1.
Update: The version of the Orchestrator is 2021.10.8.