What is the different between Type into and SetText

Hello may I know what the different between Type into and setText? when is the best to use either one feature.

3 Likes

Typeinto will simulate same keystrokes how we type to enter data. where as Set Text will set the given value in the text box in one attempt. end results both will work similar way … to enter text values in an editable fields.

2 Likes

‘Type Info’ and ‘Set Text’ both will set the given value to the field. However, in case the field is not visible in the UI(you may need to scroll down to see the field), ‘Type Into’ will not work. In that case, its better to use Set Text.

6 Likes

Type Into will work as human is entering. even you can try while toggling caps-lock button of your keyboard while using type Into you will come to know exact difference

2 Likes

thanks for your information. that will help me to get understand the different

1 Like

Hello, @rkelchuri, do you think the Set Text and Type Into with Simulate Click has no difference?
I notice sometimes in some websites Type Into doesn’t work (with or without Simulate Click or Windows Message) but Set Text works, and vice versa. Just can’t pinpoint why.

3 Likes

@qateam please help @whyyouandi

1 Like

Hi @rkelchuri,

Type Into is normally typing from keyboard like that.refer this link for more clarity

Set Text is like Pasting the content. refer this link for more clarity

Regards,
Arivu

Hello @arivu96, thank you for your response.
I can see the difference between Set Text and Type Into (with no extra option included).

However, it confused me how the Set Text and Type Into WITH Simulate Click differs?
Both of them type the text at once, and can run in background. And enables no special keys.
Looks like both of them are completely the same?

1 Like

Sorry for bumping this topic but I have this exact same question:

However, it confused me how the Set Text and Type Into WITH Simulate Click differs?

Thanks

Hi there all,
I recently asked this question while completing my Train the Trainer certification.

I was informed there is no difference between Set Text and Type Into with Simulate, as others have noted.

Set Text is apparently deprecated, but from a compatibility perspective, has to remain.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

5 Likes

Hello @Mr_JDavey, thank you for following up!
By now I use Set Text when Type Into (with all kinds of setting failed).
Great to know!

In Set Text its like a copy paste where it will directly paste that content whereas in Type into it will enter characters just as human types which helps us in using special keyboard facilities like Tab,Capslock etc

And one more thing in Type into we have empty field function which erases the earlier text and types the new one entered which is not present in Set Text Activity

3 Likes

Elaborate please