Unable to select the "Save as" tab within notepad

Hey I’m following the introduction to UIAutomation for UIPath Studio.
I’m having an issue, the screen recorder doesn’t seem to pick up the individual “File”, “Edit”, “View” buttons on notepad so I have to manually detect them.
I have two clicks, click1 for selecting the “File” button
click 2 for selecting the “Save as” button
Once I click the file button the dropdown option opens
then when it moves to click2 the dropdown closes the file tab almost instantly, to keep the dropdown open I have to have my click2 input mode as a Window Messages.
But it doesn’t seem to be able to detect the “Save as” button, it just opens the file dropdown menu and gets stuck, if I manually click save as it continues with the rest of the saving process perfectly fine.
I’ve tried switching to the click2 to hover select but that doesn’t work either.
I’ve tried image select to manually detect but that doesn’t work.
I’ve searched the web and all the suggestions say that 2 clicks should work.
Others say to just use shortcuts, which I understand is a work around, but clicking file and save as is a pretty basic function that this should be able to do, and I’m trying to do that without using keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi,

For now, can you try to set the target element without any Anchor?

Regards,

1 Like

I’ve tried that, that doesn’t work either, just does the exact same thing

Hi @Joshua_Malcolm

Have you tried with Send hotkey activity

Ctrl+s

Regards
Gokul

1 Like

Hi,

Can you share your workflow/project as file?

Regards,

1 Like

My First Recorder Sequence.xaml (50.3 KB)
Here’s my xaml file, if that’s what you mean?

Hey, I haven’t tried that yet, but I’m trying figure out a way to get it working without relying on the shortcuts/ hotkeys

Hi,

Can you try to set verification target as save dialog in the following click activity?

Regards,

1 Like

Hi Joshua,

Upon checking I found that the selector for the ‘Save as’ option from the ‘File’ menu dropdown can be easily captured.

Selector:

You can apply the keyboard key ‘F2’ or ‘Fn + F2’ for the selection to wait or give a delay of 3 seconds to point to the element.

But, rather than doing this you can multiple options to achieve the same in a much better way.

As you mentioned, the shortcut or hotkey using will be good, or else you can use the ‘Write Text File’ activity, which will write/save the file without any UI interactions.

Hope it will help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried setting the Verify execution Target to the Save as button and it still didn’t change anything.

Hey thanks for the reply.
I’ve been using F2 to pause to open the file drop down to be able to select the Save as button.
Which is why I’ve been so confused as to why UIPath can’t pick up a simple button, I’m doing it exactly how I’ve seen many people say to do it.

Hi,

Which error do you have? Can you share error message in both case with VerifiyExecution and without VerifyExecution?

Regards,

1 Like

With VerifyExecution

Without VerifyExecution

They’re both waiting for this node to start called “Type into ‘File name’”

which it can’t because run since it’s waiting for the Sava as popup to appear to then proceed

if I manually press save as, it continues fine without error, it’s just pressing save as.
I suspect, it might be because windows 11 the notepad app layout has changed, and the tutorial used the old notepad, and maybe UIPath can’t pick up the new layout properly.

1 Like

Hi,

Which element did you choose in VerifyExecution? It should be same element in the next TypeInto Activity. (Because it checks if next element appears or not)

Regards,

1 Like

This is the error with the same element as the Type into node
Thanks

Hi,

For now, can you try to turn on Retry property as the following?

And if still failed, can you share it’s behavior : Does SaveAs menu appears? Does Mouse cursor move into SaveAs menu? etc.

Regards,

Still failed, behaviour hasn’t changed.
Notepad opens the File button and the mouse just sits there and doesn’t move from there, and it just waits until the robot fails