[Tech Support - Bug/Glitch] Right Click Freezing Studio

Hello,

I am in urgent need of UiPath Studio support for Windows/PC as I’m experiencing a bug/technical issue within the application which I believe may be linked to GIT or a Version Control issue some how. @loginerror are you able to loop anyone in to assist here?

Within a recent week or two, I started to notice that Studio hangs and becomes completely unresponsive to any action whenever I try to perform a “Right Click” into the “Project Explorer” Panel in Studio (where your see all the .XAML files), that eventually results in having to kill it via Task Manager or Windows Prompt of “Not Responding, Close Now or Wait til Respond?” - selecting “Wait” just leaves it hanging for additional time, then eventually it frees up again without ever loading the context menu that was clicked on.

No error messages appear, however I looked into the log files and see that this exact message appears every single time I perform a right click, thus am certain this is what is causing it just unsure how to resolve it as I don’t want to just delete the file:

13:45:01.6728 => [ERROR] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] ShowChangesCanExecute: LibGit2Sharp.LibGit2SharpException: read error on 'C:/Users/<Snipped>/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/AutofillStrikeDatabase/LOCK' calculating similarity hashes: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

at LibGit2Sharp.Core.Ensure.HandleError(Int32 result)
   at LibGit2Sharp.Core.Proxy.git_status_list_new(RepositoryHandle repo, GitStatusOptions options)
   at LibGit2Sharp.RepositoryStatus..ctor(Repository repo, StatusOptions options)
   at LibGit2Sharp.Repository.RetrieveStatus(StatusOptions options)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.RepositoryStatusService.RetrieveStatus(String repositoryPath, StatusOptions options, Action`2 sandboxedAction)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.ItemStatusService.UpdateCache(String workingDirectory, String path, IGetStatusOptions options)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.ItemStatusService.GetItemStatusCore(String workingDirectory, String path, IGetStatusOptions options)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.ItemStatusService.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<GetItemStatus>b__0()
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.GitSession.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<Execute>b__0(IRepository _)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.GitSession.ThreadSafeExecute[TResult](Func`2 action, Func`1 repoFactory)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.GitSession.Execute[TResult](Func`1 action)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.Services.Core.ItemStatusService.GetItemStatus(IGitSession session, String path, IGetStatusOptions options)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Git.GitSourceControl.GetItemStatus(String path, Boolean refreshCache)
   at UiPath.Studio.SourceControl.Shared.Services.UI.BaseShowChangesUiService`1.ShowChangesCanExecute(String path), HResult -2146233088

Any insight and/or help is appreciated. For now. disabling “GIT” in Studio seems to have allowed me to right click again, but I’ve never checked in or out any processes in GIT so not sure how this would even correlate. Especially after doing 3 full uninstalls & re-installs.

Update - Possible Solution: Appears if I disabled “GIT” entirely within UiPath Studio under:

Settings > Team > Git > Change "Enabled" to "Disabled"

It fixes the problem, but the strangest thing is… I’ve never, ever used GIT in UiPath Studio as all the repos we work with are TFVS on Azure DevOps Services, nor have I ever used or configured GIT on this Windows installation.

Further Investigation/Troubleshooting Steps:
Once I found that disabling GIT fixed the issue, I tested it in a few projects to confirm & all of them worked perfectly. Then, I re-enabled GIT in the same clean Studio installation, created a new local project, saved it, closed & re-opened the same Project in Studio, then right clicked in the Project Explorer panel to see it freeze again.

Alternative Solution: Killed Studio & re-opened the project again, but rather than just trying to right click in the panel, I opened the “Teams” tab within Studio and saw that this new, local project that was just created was displaying “Disconnect” under the GIT Version Control settings. Disconnected it, then immediately the right-click functionality was restored to perfectly normal, working conditions.

Possible Root Cause / Further Investigation Required: It appears that GIT some how became corrupted across UiPath installations as it was preventing the right click action within Studio across every single project, regardless of none of them being synced to a GIT repo as I’ve only ever used TFVC on Azure DevOps Services.

Not sure how it set itself up either considering I performed numerous full uninstalls of UiPath Studio & Robot, manually removed all entries for “UiPath” in my Registry, deleted all UiPath folders+subfolders in AppData\Local + AppData\Roaming + UserProfile.nuget + Program Files (x86)\UiPath + and anywhere else I could locate associated files, then rebooted my machine with a clean installation of UiPath and the same issue occurred without any set-up performed to connect it to a repo.

Still also uncertain how the File under: ‘APPDATA/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/AutofillStrikeDatabase/LOCK’ was related as well, nor why it wasn’t displaying any error that could have directed me to the cause without the amount of digging I had to do.

1 Like

Hi @Jon4than_exe, thank you for the detailed reporting.
Can you please let us know some more details:

• the Studio version, Windows version and .NET Framwork you have experienced this issue with;
  • if you have the latest Microsoft Redistributable C++ x86 installed on the machine;
  • whether the AzureDevOps repository you opened in Studio (the parent folder of it) happened to have a .git folder, even if not cloned via Studio;
  • if in the Studio interface, the status bar displayed anything like this, which would actually mark the process as being under GIT source control.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi @Haleem_Muhammad

Could you share your Studio version? Also, does this also happen on the new project and after a machine restart?