Process only one queue item at once

Hello @ppr

Can you please tell me if i can run a reframework with queues only once, which means i have like 1000 queues, but need to run only one queue and the robot must stop.

Because i need to run the queues with multiple robots, it will be the same project but with multiple robots, so it gains time and don’t charge the servers…

Thank you !

Why is the same process setup with different queues where each queue has only 1 item to process? That is very convoluted and will tie up your robot resources much more because it needs to initialize applications, close applications, navigate to correct spots, etc and will take much longer if it has to do that for every transaction. It will also make tracking and reporting infinitely harder.

However, if you don’t want to pick up additional items in a queue, just dont pick up a new queue item. You can use the ‘get queue item’ activity once to start working on the transaction & then at the end of processing just dont loop back to the ‘get queue item’ activity again

1 Like

Okaay, i see what you mean ! The problem that i have is that i have an excel file which has 30k rows, which row will be proceesed in about 2min also the application is aviable only 8 hours per day and only on working days.

So my superior, told me to use the queues and get only one transaction at time, so that he can use multiple robots per transaction… Do you have any idea ?

Thank you in advance !

Yes, the typical way this is handled is to use what uipath documentation commonly refers to as a “Dispatcher” and a “Processor”

The Dispatcher will read that excel file with 30k rows, grab all of the relevant information necessary for processing, and add them to an orchestrator queue. These should all go into a single queue (usually) specific to that process. At the very end of the dispatcher, you can use the ‘start job’ activity to kick off the processor portion which will actually process the transactions one at a time. You can have it set to use all available robots in an environment, or you can choose a specific number. Either way it allows anywhere from 1-infinite robots to work at the same time by picking up those items within the queue one at a time. Using the queue ensures that no transaction is missed or done twice, along with a myriad of other benefits.

If you haven’t done the training offered by uipath (for free!) i’d highly recommend checking that out at academy.uipath.com as the basics of orchestrator and queues are explained in more detail, along with practical examples of how and when to use them.

1 Like