Orchestrator and License - A quick clarification

Hello Guys,

i need your help to understand a little bit more about orchestrator and license architecture for my company. Here is my case:

• Let’s pretend i have 2 Virtual Machine (Server) and they are configured exactly at the same way
  • Usage will be different: the first (VM-A) is used as development environment, the second (VM-B) is used as production
  • On VM-A i will install UiPath with Studio License in order to develop scripts
  • On VM-B i will install UiPath with Robot Backoffice License in order to run the scripts

Here are the questions:

1. I want to implement UiPath Orchestrator. Do I need to install it on another new Server or could it be installed on the production one (VM-B)?
  2. I need to run processes in parallel on the VM-B. Do i need to buy more than one Robot Backoffice License and install these licenses on the server VM-B?

Please, let me know if some information is missing.
Looking forward your kindly reply.
Best regards,
Mattia

Hello,

1. It is recommended to have a dedicated server for Orchestrator. Please refer to this explanation
    Orchestrator and robot on same server - #2

2. Yes. This would be a case of high density robots (multiple user sessions on the same server)

Hello Prakshi_Tyagi,

thank you very much for your quick and detailed answer!
On the point 1 i understand that it is not recomended → I will push for a stand alone implementation
On the point 2 could you please be more detailed? How many robots can i install on the same server and how many robots can run at the same time? Assumed they will be triggered by orchestrator.

Thank you very much,
Regards

Point 2
How many robots can i install on the same server?
As mentioned before, it would be a high-density setup. You can have as many robots as you have the number of user sessions. Please note that for one session/user only one robot can run at a time. So, in order to have parallel runs, you need to have multiple user sessions on the server (for which CAL licenses would also come into picture)

How many robots can run at the same time?
Again, it would depend on your server capacity.

Also, please note for each robot, a separate unattended robot license will be consumed.

Regards,
Prakshi Tyagi

Hello Prakshi_Tyagi,

thank you for the quick reply! Just last two question:

1. What do you mean for CAL licenses?
  2. How many robots/machines can be connected on the same orchestrator?

Looking forward your kindly reply,
Best regards,
Mattia

1. CAL License - When you create multiple users on a Windows server, you need CAL (Client Access License). Your Infra Team would provide you with this. This is not to be confused with UiPath licenses.
    Once multiple user logons are set up on your server, you can provision them in orchestrator (for which you would need UiPath licenses :slight_smile: )
  2. With one orchestrator instance (version lower than 18.1), you can connect upto 100-200 robots, but it depends on your setup of resources (database in this case) which in turn depends on the no of assets, queues, frequency of schedules etc

Let me know if this helps.

1. YES Finally got it! Thank you!
  2. Ok perfect 100-200 robots but robots can stay also on different servers or it should be under the same?

They can be anywhere. On the same server or on different servers, doesn’t matter, as far as your setup (Infra) supports that.

Thank you very much Prakshi! Your help was precious!