How to keep selecting a dropdown listbox when default value changes?

In my old 2016 UiPath project I recorded clicking on a dropdown listbox of Invoice dates and then “type into” a Down arrow to select the next invoice. This has been working for years. However in the new version of UiPath, once the listbox is selected and I click the download link, it comes back with the second date in the main field. Apparently UiPath considers the value of the field to be its name, and since the value is now different, it can no longer find the field so I can’t “Type Into” another Down keystroke to get the next invoice. The old version clearly did NOT use the value of the field to find it. So I must be doing something wrong. How can we identify a dropdown listbox regardless of the contents?

In this case the listbox has descending dates beginning with 7-3-2019. First I download the default invoice no problem. Then click the listbox to change the date to 7-2-2019 and click Download, no problem. But now the listbox has 7-2-2019 as the default, so when I try to click it again to down arrow for the third invoice, it fails to find the element because the selector no longer works. Here is the error:

19.6.0+Branch.master.Sha.adf20656f41da84cdec5e5620b62276717eb7319

Source: Click ‘SPAN’

Message: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector:

Exception Type: UiPath.Core.SelectorNotFoundException

RemoteException wrapping UiPath.Core.SelectorNotFoundException: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector: —> RemoteException wrapping System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector:
at UiPath.UiNodeClass.FindFirst(UiFindScope scope, String nodeID)
at UiPath.Core.UiElement.FindFirst(FindScope scope, Selector selector, IVariableResolver resolver)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at UiPath.Core.Activities.ScopeActivity.OnFaulted(NativeActivityFaultContext faultContext, Exception propagatedException, ActivityInstance propagatedFrom)
at System.Activities.Runtime.FaultCallbackWrapper.Invoke(NativeActivityFaultContext faultContext, Exception propagatedException, ActivityInstance propagatedFrom)
at System.Activities.Runtime.FaultCallbackWrapper.FaultWorkItem.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Ravi

Pasting in the error message dropped the most important part; I substituted *s for <> below:

Source: Click ‘SPAN’

Message: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector: *html app=‘chrome.exe’ title=‘ReportDetail’ /**webctrl aaname=‘07/03/2019’ parentid=‘kddl_div’ tag=‘SPAN’ *

@ravin
Please try with “Select Item” activity, let us know if you facing issue.

Thank you for the suggestion, Parth. When I tried it and selected the dropdown listbox I got a message that said “This control does not support Select Item”. It’s not a combo box because you can’t type a custom value, and its not a static open listbox, so maybe Select Item doesn’t work with a drop down list box? But no worries; I figured out how to use my prior method.

I checked the source code for my old version and found that there was an asterisk instead of the date for the field name:
aaname=‘*’. I put that into the select statement and it worked!

Now if I could just figure out how to make Chrome stop opening a new window every time I click download…

Thanks again!