Dropdown value selection does not work for certain values in the list

Hi All,
I am pretty new to UiPath Development. We are developing the ui automation for a simple use case where I get data in the form of csv and use the same to enter into a web application.
Issue I’m facing has been explained in details as below -
There is a dropdown at the starting of the page with field name called “Type”. Initially I tried the click + select value combination. But it did not work. What worked for me was click + type into (although the application dropdown actually does not support typing when done manually in real time). The drop down has some similar values in the list and that is actually causing the issue. some sample values from my drop down are listed below:
|1|Aktiivivapaa|
|2|Julkisten tehtävien hoito|
|3|Koulutus ja opiskelu|
|4|Osa-aikainen opiskelu|
|5|Osa-aikainen perhevapaa|
|6|Osa-aikainen sairaus/kuntoutus|
|7|Sairausloma max 5pv ei tod|
|8|Sairauspoissaolo, todistus|
The automation works fine while typing value (3) from csv into the “TYPE” field dropdown
The automation works fine while typing value (4) from csv into the “TYPE” field dropdown
The automation partially works fine while typing value (5) from csv into the “TYPE” field dropdown, because initially the value (5) is rightly picked and typed into the “TYPE” field dropdown, however within few milli seconds, the value automatically changes to (4) which is very similar to (5) but comes alphabetically prior to (5). This is a very weird issue I am facing.
Please need your help!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Divya G

try using select item activity and give the variable in the box
hope this helps.

Hi, Thanks for your inputs. When I used select item, I ran into the blow issue:
TIP: Some combo-boxes delay load items until its dropdown is expanded. Try to simulate a click on control prior to selecting an item. site:forum.uipath.com.

At least the click + type into is working for unique values now.

But could you please explain what is meant by “give the variable in the box” ??

Regards,
Divya G

can you please share the screenshot if possible

In the box(yellow marked box you have to give the option from the drop down which you are getting as variable i.e row(“Column Name”) or just a string like “Any_Value_Thats_From_DropDown”) image

**From the above error: its not an error its a tip **
Use a click activity to open the drop down first then you can use the select item activity.
if the drop down takes lot of time to load then you can add the click before the select item activity

1 Like

Hi @ashley11,
I am attaching the screenshot of the click and type into activities I have used to achieve this.

The issue I am facing is:
1.If the csv file has value “Koulutus ja opiskelu HUS-Kuntayhtymä” , the type into works fine and chooses correctly in the application drop down.
2.If the csv file has value “Osa-aikainen opiskelu HUS-Kuntayhtymä” , the type into works fine and chooses correctly in the application drop down.
3.If the csv file has value “Osa-aikainen perhevapaa HUS-Kuntayhtymä” , the type into works fine and first chooses it from the application drop down. But later chages it to “Osa-aikainen opiskelu HUS-Kuntayhtymä” which comes prior to it in alphabetical order. Same thing happens even if hardcode the value “Osa-aikainen perhevapaa HUS-Kuntayhtymä” in the type into activity. This somehow does not work for this value at all.

Selector used for type into activity is :

Please suggest some ideas/solution.

Regards,
Divya G

Hi @divyagoteti

Can you add a break point before the select item and run the program in the debug mode? Once it gets there check in the locale panel whether it has the same exact value in the variable you are using? I wonder whether it turns into something else because it has some special characters…

Hi @Lahiru.Fernando,
Even with direct hardcoding of this particular value, it does not work and changes it to the previous value in the dropdown list as I mentioned earlier.

Regards,
Divya G

@divyagoteti - did you get a solution for this? I ran into this same problem? please help