How to execute a workflow on a PC which doesn't have the UiPath Studio or UiPath Robot installed?

How to execute a workflow on a PC which doesn’t have the UiPath Studio or UiPath Robot installed?

I have been working with UiPath to automate workflows using UiPath Studio and UiPath Robot (both locally and on localhost through Orchestrator) and was successful.

I have been through the following videos from academy.uipath :

• Lesson Orchestrator 2018.2 - Video Part 1
  • Lesson Orchestrator 2018.2 - Video Part 2

I am aware I need to:

• Add a host as a Standard Machine first
  • Then add a Standard Robot
  • Further provision the Robot within the Orchestrator settings.

Now I want to execute a workflow on a bare PC which doesn’t have either the UiPath Studio or UiPath Robot installed.

So my questions are:

• (Q1): Is an installation of UiPath Studio and/or UiPath Robot the bare minimum requirement to execute a workflow through a UiPath Robot, guided through the UiPath Orchestrator?
  • Windows Installation can be done through:
  • UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe
  • UiPathStudio.msi
  • (Q2): Can I install UiPath Robot only (excluding the UiPath Studio) using either of the installers?

I had been using the UiPathStudio.msi which installs both UiPath Studio and UiPath Robot by default. So:

• (Q3): Would UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe allow me to install the UiPath Robot individually?
  • (Q4): Would a Robot installed through UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe communicate with Orchestrator CE

Note: As per Free Trial or Community Edition UiPath RPA Software my understanding is:

• UiPathStudio.msi is for The UiPath Community Edition
  • UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe is for The UiPath Enterprise RPA Platform
  • (Q5): Am I correct?

Hi @debanjan

I will generalize a bit first.

The Community Edition offers only the .exe installer that will install Studio and Robot for the current user. It does not allow you to select which product to install, it will always install both (and will not contain the Orchestrator)

The Enterprise Edition offers the .msi installer (and a platform .exe installer) which allows you to select which product you want to install and installs them for the entire machine (including Robot service running for the machine instead of just the user).

Thus, onto your questions

Q1. Is an installation of UiPath Studio and/or UiPath Robot the bare minimum requirement to execute a workflow through a UiPath Robot, guided through the UiPath Orchestrator

To run the robot, you need to have to robot service. Thus, Robot service is the minimum requirement to run your processes. These can be then run either via Orchestrator, or the command line (see our documentation for details)

Q2: Can I install UiPath Robot only (excluding the UiPath Studio) using either of the installers?

Yes, using either of the two you’ve listed ( * UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe or * UiPathStudio.msi)

Q3: Would UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe allow me to install the UiPath Robot individually?

Yes.

Q4: Would a Robot installed through UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe communicate with Orchestrator CE

Any Robot will be able to communicate with Orchestrator CE

Q5: Am I correct?

No, the two installers are for the Enterprise Edition. The installer for Community Edition is called:
UiPathStudioSetup.exe

I hope it clarifies the matter :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing such helpful information…
I have doubt, as you said…

1. how many robots can we setup through UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe
  2. How costing is done : per robot or multiple robots?
  3. How many robots can run simultaneously if we have multiple tenant?
  4. If orchestrator installed on server side, How many users can hit orchestrator at same time?

Hi @sagaryeole

How many robots can we setup through UiPathPlatformInstaller.exe

Any number of robots.

How costing is done : per robot or multiple robots?

I believe for each robot, but you would need to contact our sales to learn more. You can do so over here:

How many robots can run simultaneously if we have multiple tenant?

This depends on the licensing. The technical limit of simultaneous robots per Orchestrator instance is very high and it is unlikely you will reach it :slight_smile:

If orchestrator installed on server side, How many users can hit orchestrator at same time?

Once again, it is very high and should not cause you any trouble.

2 Likes

@loginerror Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.