Handling random popup

"I am doing automation for application, Where I am getting one popup randomly, there is no fix pattern. Whenever that popup will appear I have to click on “Close” good part is its selector is always same.

Can anyone suggest how to handle this type of popup" How to handle random popup

Option 1: using a thread in parallel to click on “Close”

Option 2: to develop a “Popup scope” that checks after each activity if the popup is present on the screen.

Option 3: to develop a “Catch&Continue scope” that catches all exceptions, handles them and continues with the activity that threw the exception.

Any other option?

1 Like

I usually go with option 1 and have the continue on error button set to true. This takes care of most everything as long as a reliable selector can be used.

EDIT: wow, didn’t realize this was 12 months old - it appeared on the first page for me for some reason. Oh well, hope this still helps 1 year later!

1 Like

lol @Dave, it is because he made an edit to the post today.

Normally of what I see is that random popups only occur in specific moments of the process, and they either show up or they don’t. In that case, you can simply use the ContinueOnError property of the Close action.

The tricky part is when you don’t know when the popup will show, and it could show any time during the process. I have not worked with parallel enough, but it seems that it would be the most ideal but only if you use an Invoke Workflow in parallel, and you also must have it exit when your process exits with additional logic. I don’t know if there really is a better option, if your goal is to simply close a window each time it shows up.

However, if you are trying to solve for random occurrences that cause your process to fail, I would take the error handling approach, where you basically catch the error then perform a retry on that item that was being processed. In this solve, you would need to restart the part of the process that was occuring. I use this most of the time and keeps my process reliable.

We’re working at a feature for this year. Generic exception handler.

2 Likes

Some things work out of the box though. What are you struggling with?

1 Like

Hey Ancher,

Working on Oracle forms so created this topic.
Will publish my finding on same.

thanks
Vivek S.

1 Like

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

1 Like

Hi Vivek,
were you able to automate the forms for oracle EBS? please let me know
Thanks
priya

1 Like

how to handle popups in oracle EBS?

Hi Priya,

Yes, I am able to perform the operation on oracle forms.
Let me know you are still facing issue and what kind of issue.

Thanks
Vivek S.

Hi Arun,

Did you to handle just closing popup or want to read the text and perform some operation.

Thanks
Vivek S.

hi @vivek_shiv

yes i want to read the text and perform respective action like yes or no, save or cancel etc.

but when i use the UiExplorer on the popup windows in EBS it is throwing error saying index out of range,

i think some how i need to increase the size of collection because whenever the selectors having more than two java tags it is throwing errors of index out of range, increase the collection size

if that is the case, then help how to increase the collection size of uipath studio

Hi Arun,

Sorry for late reply as was stuck in another process.
Let me know if issue solves to read the text from oracle popup or not?

Thanks
Vivek S.

yes i’m able to get the text from popups by using getVisibleText on parent window which gives me complete visible text and then after using the substring to retrieve the requestID

but i wonder is this the only way to handle the popups

Hi Arun,

So far there is no other finding to handle the popup window. Will update once get something.

Thanks
Vivek S.

Hi All,
I am doing automation for application, Where after opening browser of the site I am getting popup ,without clicking that it doesn’t allow me to login, there is fix pattern. Whenever that popup will appear I have to click on “Ok” or “Continue”

Can anyone suggest how to handle this type of popup
I have try all the idea which was given but still not succeed.
Please help on this
Thanks In Advance
Attachment of site

1 Like

You can use element exists activity. If it is true, let the bot click on ok or can move to the next step. Have you already tried?

Hi Ula,
Thanks For the Reply.
But still my issue is not resolved.
The popup in java script so it doesn’t allow me to indicate or select the Screen.
Thank U

I have seen the Generic Exception Handler mentioned in a few other threads that are also trying to deal with random popup windows/dialogs and alert messages. The problem with GEH is that it is for handling and dealing with Exceptions, not informational Windows or Dialogs.
I think there needs to be some kind of Event Trigger that can be defined and active within a Workflow, outside of a Parallel Task, that once the Window or Dialog Appears it fires a trigger that would halt or pause the current existing sequence or flow, then execute activities within the Event Trigger which deals with the Window/Dialog, close it and then return control to the regularly schedule sequence or workflow.

1 Like

hi @vivek_shiv @ArunKumarJ kumar @PAD @evangemert @Rishabh_Lakhera
@Vivek_Arunagiri
i encountered the same issue in my process.
after clicking on a button i have to perform some clicks in a pop up window.
i have tried many activities,but no benefit…
can u suggest any activity??

Thank you !