Handling Production Environment

This question is rarely asked: How are the automated processes run on the production environment in your companies?

1. Are they deployed to the virtual machine on a server?
    Do you prefer to run a single process on each robot (windows user+machine combo) or do you schedule as many processes on it as it is possible?
  2. How do you handle the input/output files on a server belonging to a robot? Do the UiPath developers have an access to those files for an easier debugging? Do they have an access to the server at all?
  3. How does the process deployment to the production environment look like? Do you use a separate environment for the development/QA or do you deploy straight from your PC?
  4. How do you make sure the process will work on a production environment which might differ from the environment on which the process was developed?
1 Like

Hi @MarekBruna welcome to UiPath community

It depends on your requirement, but when you consider such other resources like , machines, power, space, availability Its really better to manage through the virtual machine,
But remember, on that, it’s better to be windows os (not servers)
And the other thing is considering about Attended bots,
So it means might be human interaction required, so you have to give other users access to that machine. to do that you can have some remote login applications has to be installed on there (NOT RDC) as example Real VNC
then the user can able to log in to the pcs without harm to the robot operations.
It is all about to decide to form your end, you don’t need to keep the robot idel because its possible to work 24/7

I hope you are talking about ROBOTS (Not about APP/DB servers)If not just reply again will be comment back

So when you consider as the robot, as I said earlier if you are using such remote logins, so you can give them to that method without allocating server logins
And the other thing is such file like input-output you can setup the common file sharing links for robots, so that can access all robot as well as other users without accessing the robots machines.
Anyway, I don’t recommend providing any server credentials to Developers actually it’s a segregation of duties.

This thing also you have some several steps can follow, but remember this is depending on the known of the product and expertise of the handling
basically, its should follow as below
Development ==> SIT==>UAT==>LIEV (this is the basic level)

When we talking about the environment, you better have to have such a 3 layers at lease

• Development Environment
    • Testing Environment
    • Production Environment

yes you have to definitely pass through these steps

This checks a tricky question and actually, I agree with you most probably there might be another issue that will occur when you deploy in production and might various error occurs
To manage that your team should be ready, The main thing is that closely monitoring the process until it’s going to be fine, along with that you may have to work with developers some upgrades have to be placed into your processors.

From my personal experience, I name it as Stabling Environment,
Stabling environment will work on Production and works continues resolvents until the process becomes stable. so then release as Production

1 Like

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, I’m kinda suprised that you prefer running the robots on Windows OS rather than Windows server as the latter enables running multiple robots at the same time. What exactly is the reason that you prefer that option?

1 Like

@MarekBruna
Generally its upto you to decide how may wanna setup your robots , in our senario we actually need to watch and log to each robots sometime so , instead of creating high density, we prefer robot server with windows os ,
And the other task is that some of our requirement and controls acts better to be a windows OS.
There is no issue with running robot windows, its general.