VM Unattended Robot, should it be the same as development environment?

Hello Guys.
We are developing some processes and will purchase the license soon for two developers, one unattended robot and one non-production robot. Now my questions are:

1. How will I use the non-production robot if when I have studio installed I can run the process when I am developing it.
  2. The Unattended Robot will be a Virtual machine, will everything work if its the same operating system and same applications? Like i don’t have to worry about simulate clicks and stuff ? What if its a Windows Server, and development is done on Windows 10
  3. Will UIPath support you to prepare the environment when you purchase the licenses ?

THANK YOU GUYS

Anyone ?

Hi @Hurmet_Noka,

Just to clarify, if you are two developers you will need two studio licenses as well. This is in addition to your planned one unattended and one non-production robot.

1. Non-production robots are very similar to Unattended robots, but are deemed to be used in production-like environments. When you develop a project in a studio and later publish it to Orchestrator, you can choose the robot user and assign the user a non-production license and select on which machine-template the robot will run.

2. Yes, if you have the applications installed and the robot has access to the required folders (if you have any file-shares the robot uses) then you are good to go. Windows 10 and Windows server will work fine with UiPath unattended robots.

3. I believe so, your region will have UiPath representatives who also have expertise in helping you with the infrastructure side of things.

The hardest part of the entire process of enterprise / on-premises UiPath is setting up the infrastructure. It is quite technical with all the requirements for certificates, IIS setup and domain names etc. So you would definitely want to have your IT team to help you understand the jargons in the Installation Documentation.

Once you have successfully set up an On-Premises Orchestrator, 95% of your work is done! Allocating licenses is going to be a cake walk :slight_smile:

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

1 Like

Thank you so much Sir. Really Helpful!
We Will have Orchestrator on-cloud. Is that gonna be simple to be set up ?

Thank You

Hi @Hurmet_Noka,

I am very sure that if you are using Cloud Orchestrator, the setup will be much easier than on-premises.

But note that when you have an Orchestrator in the cloud, your developers need to be aware of some lag with the Orchestrator.

For example, Get Asset activity or Get Credential activity may have some delay in execution.
As a preventive step, I suggest you read the post by @bradford.rust in this thread : Multi Get Asset Activity - Feedback / Activities - UiPath Community Forum. It is a proven way of limiting robot orchestrator communication when using Cloud Orchestrator.

1 Like

@jeevith Thank you so much for all these explanations.
One question that really is bothering me…
I have the process ready how to execute it on a virtual machine i created…
Should I add a user on orchestrator, give an unattended licence and add the machine using the add machine function in orchestrator…or should I install something in the machine related to the orchestrator ?
I would be very glad if you help me with this.
THANK YOU

HI @Hurmet_Noka,

It has been a while since I last did this, so the steps may differ given the new website for cloud orchestrator.

• Step 1: RobotUser should have access to that VM (robot machine)
  • Step 2: In Orchestrator create user (RobotUser). I am uncertain if you have Active Directory access or not.
  • Step 3: Create a Machine-Template (this is useful as it can allow you to have floating / different robot licenses on the same machine)
  • Step 4: For that user, go to its property. You can see how it looks here : How to add licence in Uipath community edition - Help / Studio - UiPath Community Forum
    *Here you allocate the appropriate license to your robot
  • Step 5: Connect the robot in the robot machine using the machine template ( copy machine key from Orchestrator)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.