#FeatureBlog - 19.10 - Using non-greedy search in selectors

What’s new?

The Non-Greedy search makes it possible to identify the target element from a pool of similar applications, matching the attributes you specify.

Let’s begin

1. As an example, let’s assume I am automating two Calculator applications which are opened simultaneously:

2. I want that my automation spies these two Calculator applications for the entered number 100 in any of them and execute some steps afterwards. Thus, I am using the following selector:

3. With the current selector default options, the selector search is done only in the application in focus, while the other similar ones matching top level attributes are ignored. See below, how the Calculator app in focus displays 99, and the secondary one displays 100, and the selector remains invalid:

4. However, adding:

idx='*'

in the top level selector will instruct the code to do the search throughout all the opened application, not only the one in focus. Thus the selector becomes valid:

And this is how you can empower your selectors to be more reliable and do a broader search for the target application :slight_smile:

That’s it for this #FeatureBlog

Please provide your valuable feedback about this feature! Our product team is hungry to build upon the basic functionalities so feed them your ideas :slight_smile:

Don’t be shy, click on image and tell us what you think or do it directly from Studio image !
As always, thank you for reading and happy automating!

9 Likes

*Calculator, not calendar.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

.pdf and .PDF are different in selector. Any idea how to make it case insensitive ?

Hi @sushildarveshi

It’s not a direct solution, but you can read this post on how to use regex in selectors. It’s available starting from version 2019.10

1 Like

@sushildarveshi How are you?

Starting from the latest preview there’s support for case insensitive selectors.

You can check it here