Career Challenge

Hi Team,

I am raising this query over here in order to get you all experts guidance.

I am having overall - 10 years of experience in IT and 5 years in UiPath.
I am in mid of my career. I work for a reputed company.
I see in my current project i don’t have any work, in spite of asking for work.

I came here to ask, what i can learn in this free time. In order to upgrade myself.
Well as my experience is 10 years and i am a Team lead. Now planning to go up in my career.

As i am already a lead, So if i have to become a manager then what skills or courses i have to take up?
as my core skill set is RPA UiPath, also i have learnt a little bit of AA tool as well. Blue prisum i hardly work as i dint get chance.
Maximum i worked on UiPath. Also i had worked as .NET DEV as a fresher.
Do i need to MBA, if so in which particular stream like there are many things in MBA too. and now 10years of exp all in to technical field ONLY.
Now can any one give me some guidance.
also planning to change the job, as in my existing project not sure how to ask for Roll off.

Did any one face this career challenge? if so then your inputs matters a lot.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Seema

Hi @Seema_S,

I’m in similar circumstance and I think it depends on where you think your strength is.

MBA makes sense if you are already a manager and wanting to climb up to upper management or executive role. Look into project management certifications instead, such as Prince2 or PMP.
PRINCE2 vs PMP: Project Management Certifications | ClickUp

If you’re wanting to stay doing UiPath, look into becoming RPA Manager or RPA Solution Architect. Finish all the related UiPath Academy courses if you haven’t already.

Check out these career path options:
Start your career in RPA and AI in automation today | UiPath Academy

Switching to Business Analyst roles could help you branch out of UiPath if you are good with dealing with people. Also good to supplement your technical experience with business experience before transitioning up to manager roles.

If you are feeling adventurous, consider skilling up in cloud services (Azure/AWS/GCP), AI (ChatGPT + myriad others), DevOps, Agile, etc.

Last but not least, setup your own IT consulting business and be your own boss.

Dear Seema,

Thank you for sharing your query. It’s great that you’re looking to make the most of your free time and plan your career progression thoughtfully. Here are some suggestions that might help:

Skill and Career Development

1. Management Skills:

• Project Management: Courses like PMP (Project Management Professional) or PRINCE2 can provide you with essential project management skills.
  • Leadership and Communication: Courses in leadership, team management, and effective communication can be highly beneficial. Consider options like Dale Carnegie Training or courses on platforms like Coursera and LinkedIn Learning.
  • Agile Methodology: Understanding Agile practices can be advantageous. Certifications such as Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) or PMI-ACP (Agile Certified Practitioner) are well-regarded.

2. Technical Skills:

• RPA Tools: Since you have a strong background in UiPath, deepening your expertise in other RPA tools like Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere can make you more versatile.
  • Data Analytics: Learning data analytics and visualization tools (e.g., Power BI, Tableau) can complement your RPA skills and open up new opportunities.
  • Cloud Computing: Gaining knowledge in cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) can be very valuable, especially for integrating RPA solutions.

3. MBA Consideration:

• Why MBA: An MBA can provide a solid foundation in business management and strategic thinking. It is particularly useful if you want to transition into higher management roles.
  • Specializations: Considering your technical background, specializations in Technology Management, Project Management, Business Analytics, or General Management could be highly relevant. Research programs that offer flexibility and align with your career goals.

Career Transition

1. Changing Jobs:

• Market Positioning: Highlight your experience in RPA, leadership roles, and any new skills you acquire during this period. Tailor your resume to showcase your accomplishments and readiness for managerial roles.
  • Networking: Leverage your professional network, attend industry events, and engage on platforms like LinkedIn to find new opportunities.

2. Role Negotiation:

• Internal Discussion: Have a candid discussion with your manager or HR about your current situation. Express your desire to take on more responsibilities or explore other projects within the company.
  • Roll-off Request: If you decide to look for new opportunities within or outside the company, approach the conversation professionally. Explain your need for growth and willingness to contribute more effectively.

Peer Experience

Many professionals face similar challenges at mid-career stages. Transitioning into management often requires a blend of new skills and strategic education. Listening to their experiences can offer valuable insights. I encourage others in the forum to share their journeys and any advice they might have.

Thank you for initiating this important discussion. Best of luck with your career advancement!

Best Regards,
Mark Williams