Browser Extensions Unstable

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to UiPath and I finished the Foundation Training. In the beginning, the Chrome extension didn’t work, but the Firefox extension did. After a while (Firefox updated to Quantum), the Firefox extension stopped working, but the Chrome one did work. Two days ago, the Chrome extension stopped working again (I cannot interact with any element on a page, after around 30 seconds of UiPath not responding, I get a message “Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.” - the same message I got before) and the Firefox one still doesn’t work (same symptoms) so I’m forced to work on IE. I tried all the troubleshooting steps, but it didn’t help. I have updated .Net framework and tried reinstalling the extensions. I’m working on Windows 10 with the latest updates installed.

Is this common or do problems like this happen only on my computer? Is there something I can do to prevent this instability other than disabling updates and waiting for the extension to start working again and the steps described in the Extension Troubleshooting Guide?


Hi Miran,

Can you please provide Studio version? (full version - like 2017.1.6522) It’s in the “Help” tab in Studio.

For Firefox 64-bit it’s a known issue, please try to install the 32-bit version.

As for the Chrome error, can you please provide Chrome version? And check if there are any updates for Chrome browser.

Hi @miranradonic,

I used to face the same issues when I was new to UiPath.

As I have mentioned in previous such similar issues:

1.> If not mandatory , please use IE11 for carrying out automation projects.
2.> There are behavioral issues with UiPath for different versions of Mozilla (not sure about Chrome), as I have tested it with good 10-12 versions(including both new and old).
3.> Stability will come only when u use IE11.
4.> Error : "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."
does not come up in Internet Explorer.
5.> Its is recommended to use latest IE version :slight_smile: for carrying out Automation as it works like a charm without any final stage disappointments.

Cheers Mate , Hope it helps !!


Hi @ovi,

UiPath Studio version is 2017.1.6522; Chrome is 63.0.3239.108 64-bit, there are no updates available.


Thanks @prassin6!

That’s very useful information!


1 Like

Cheers Mate :slight_smile:
happy to help

Hi Everyone,

I have been having the same issues with Chrome over the last few days. When I uninstall and re-install the extension it seems to work, but I wondered if there was an update on when this is looking to be improved.

Most the time it freezes when I try to select anything like at the start of this thread.

Extension Version: 9.0.6421
UiPath Studio Version: Enterprise Edition - 2017.1.6522


Team I have ready above solutions/discussions, but I need firefox as my client application supports firefox and I can edit the settings of proxy for FF only. Hence I need to work on FF, kindly suggest

Hi Ovi,

I have same issue of Unable to communicate with the browser, I am using 2018.4.4 version of UIPath and chrome 32 bit version.
I have removed the extension and reinstalled it and restarted the services but still I have the same problem.