BOT on Virtual Machine

Hi All,

I have a query w.r.t. running a workflow process on Virtual Machine, which includes image based activities/actions. Kindly go through the below scenario -

1. I login to the VM using RDP(mstsc) from my desktop machine
  2. I trigger the BOT on VM (which includes image based activities/actions)
  3. As the BOT starts, I want to close the session and I expect that BOT should run successfully in the background.

However, the BOT fails as it contains image based activities/actions. Is there any way through which I can ensure that the BOT runs successfully even though I close the RDP session?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Nikhil More.

Hi there,

I have done this few times, if you start a robot in a VM session, if you dont touch anything and just close the VM session of your machine at the start of the process, it will be running okay, because the VM will be ON ( although you close it in your machine, it will be opened in the VM session ).

In other words, VM is like a real machine. If you connect to that machine and you close the window, that VM will still ON and will follow the process.

Bests,
Pablo

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.

Can we use community edition to run unattended robot?

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi Pablo,

I have few specific queries for you as below,

1. Does you workflow contains any imaged based activities?
  2. How you managed to achieve it, because when I try to close the VM session my BOT fails at image based activities. For eg., I can append some text to the text file (by using ‘Append Line’ activity) however, I cannot use ‘Type into’ activity to type inside text file.
  3. Have you made any specific settings to your ROBOT or Workflow in order to work even after the VM session is closed.

thank you in advance.

Regards,
Nikhil More.

Hi there,

1. Yes, I had to detect a window in SAP that couldnt be indentified by using selectors. So I used image recognition. And this robot is running in unnatended mode.
  2. To be honest, it was a challenge. Our team was working hard on it and finally we saw that when an unnattended robot is launched into VM, its resolution may be cliped at 800x600 and that was the reason why our robot was failing, because the resolution made the window open in a non-visible part of the desktop…to see it you should make scroll, and that was bad. So finally we used an activity called: Launch workflow interactive in which you can specify the exact resolution that VM will take.
  3. Maybe I answered this question in 2nd point.

Hope it helps friend, sorry for not be more helpful and the way I express myself xD

Bests,
Pablo

2 Likes