2 machines, same machine key

Hi,

We have 2 environments (test & staging) which have 2 machines setup in Orchestrator.

Same how, we just noticed recently that they (machines) both have the same Machine Key.

Subsequently one of the Bots is not able to connect to orchestator and is coming back with “Robot Unavailable”

Any body experienced this? any ideas?

Thanks

@sacad

If i’m not mistaking you can’t have the same machine key for both machines, unless you used the same key from your orchestrator.

You should add two diffrents machines, so that you get two diffrents machine keys…

1 Like

HI mz3bel, they are 2 different machines, however i dont know how they ended up with the same machine key. Any ideas how to rectify?

1 Like

@sacad

Ok, still don’t think it’s possible to have the same Key, in Orchestrator… Do, please check both of added machines… If they are the same, delete and add a new onces…

There are two types of machines in Orchestrator. Standard and Template.

Standard: Is intended per host, although when you configure the Robot there is nothing stopping you from referencing the same machine key, but I believe the behaviour would be the first host to connect with a matching machine name will get the registration while the second one (assuming the machine name is the same) will be rejected. Standard machines at this time are used for unattended and attended type robots.

Templates on the other hand are used when the name of the host will not be consistent or you have a group of machines to connect. They are used in conjunction of Attended Robots (Attended / Studio)

Hover your mouse over the status message and it will reveal a more details indication of what the problem is. Alternatively, look in your Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications.

If these are unattanded Robots, make sure you have two different defined Machines in Orchestrator for the corresponding hostnames and re-configure the Agent Service on the Robot hosts.

If the robots are attended/studio and you are part of a domain, you could create a machine template and use the same key for each of your Robots.

1 Like