Could someone point me what would be the problem for it? Our bot process running normally in the development machine perfectly fine without any delay/slowness whereas the execution takes ages for each step in the production machine. I tried deleting browser cache, history, local temp file but non-working.
Production and development machines have the same system spec, same studio/orchestrator version with same window updates.
I compared the logs file between production and development machines and found a big difference in execution workflow.
For example in the development machine, the process could finish 5000 steps but in the production machine, it can only finish 1500 steps. I also look at the trace logs of orchestrator and found significant delays between workflow. sometimes it could take up to 2 minutes to execute the workflow. As a result, we have to stop all our processes as it’s taking longer than humans to finish the jobs.
I did email/call Uipath support and they can’t provide accurate answers for it yet. Our only option is to reformat the production machine and reinstall the uipath but we want to avoid doing that.