Uipath 2019 Tenant versus Org Units

Hi everyone,

I would like to understand difference between Tenant and Org Unit features in Orchestrator and when to use which.

1. Lets say we need to achieve separation of control among different departments, should I use Tenant to setup a Department ? E.g a separate tenant for Finance and another for HR? If so what is the use of Org Unit?

2. UiPath documentation says that OrgUnit feature is experimental , if so will it go away?

3. Is it best practice to have separate physical instance (on premise ) of Orchestrator for a Dev environment and production environment?

regards,
Gaurav

@Gaurav_Sharma

It’s better to use different tenant for different departments.

We can’t say anything. If it successful then it will be there otherwise they will deprecate it.

Yes its best practice to use different environments for both development and production. Once the development completed then you can test it in development environment and If everything is fine then move it to production.

1 Like

Hey @Gaurav_Sharma

I agree with @lakshman’s comments on your questions. Just thought of adding few more points to it

It is always the best practice to use multi tenancy feature of the orchestrator. It is actually one of the most important and unique features UiPath has compared with other RPA tools. You can use multiple tenants for each department or in the way that you need to separate the tasks.

Even if it is on-premise or cloud, it is always a good practice to have separate environments for development, testing and production. Test and production environments should be identical to each other. However, development can be little different because it is the environment that developers use to develop stuff.

Excellence is achieved through constant challenging and breaking off from your limitations. It isn’t taught or given; it begins within you. – @Lahiru.Fernando

1 Like

One thing i can tell you, every tentant of orchestrator will need to have its own robots and licenses, since Org Unit can go away, i think you should not use them. I would not have separate physical instances or Orchestrator in your company unless it is a real big company, cause will be even harder to keep track of the instances, so tenants would be easier…

Thanks everyone for all inputs. To me it also looks likeva good design to assign 1 tenant per department and manage department’s robots and licences on tenant. For large organisations the license costs are borne by departments and each departments will have different roles and people managing robots.

However even within departments at times you will have different teams or regions that might need seprate “unit” within tenant as a separate space. Essentially we arw talking about hiererachial organisations. Is that the reason to have “Org Unit” within Tenant? I wish someone from @Uipath architecture group and comment on it. We are talking about large, complex multi country organisations here and how to model the bot provisioning and roles and responsibilities on orchestrator.