Twilio Activities Public Preview Release

Description

Twilio is a leading cloud communication company that enables software developers to programmatically interact with a variety of communication channels including voice/phone, SMS/text, email, chat and web channels. Twilio offers a rich set of communication REST APIs to build communication workflows in a variety of applications and scenarios.

The UiPath.Twilio.Activities package offers activities to initiate outgoing phone calls or send SMS messages.

Activities List

• Twilio Scope - Connects to Twilio and provides a scope for other activities.
  • Make Voice Call - Place a voice call.
  • Send SMS - Sends an SMS message.

How to install

UiPath.Twilio.Activities package is available on our Official feed. Please make sure to check ‘Include Prerelease’ in your Package Manager and then search for “UiPath.Twilio.Activities”, and install the latest version.

Twilio Activities should be visible now in UiPath Studio, as shown below:

How to use

The sample workflows below show how to use the Twilio activities in practice.

Placing an outgoing call

This UiPath process uses Twilio to place an outgoing phone call and relays a message when the call is picked up. It consists of the following workflow:

TwilioPhoneCallWithManualSteps.zip (30.3 KB)

To exemplify, let’s go step by step through the process of creating the MakePhoneCall workflow:

1. First, add an Twilio Scope activity and set the values for the input parameters like in the screenshot below. In the sample workflow above, you can see that I got the values for these parameters from variables. Here is a short description of the activity’s parameters:
  1. Add Make Voice Call activity which can be used to place a phone call. The parameters of this activity are:
  • From (String) - The Twilio phone number in E.164 format.

• To (String) - The phone number to call, in E.164 format, e.g. +15558675310.

• Say (String) - Text that is read when the call is answered.

• PlayAudio (String) - The URL of an audio file that Twilio will play when the call is answered.

• TwiML (String) - Instructions in the form TwiML that explains what should happen when the other party picks up the phone. Learn more about TwiML.

Send an SMS message

This UiPath process uses Twilio to send an SMS message. It consists of the following workflow:

TwilioSendSMSWithManualSteps.zip (30.0 KB)

To exemplify, let’s go step by step through the process of creating the SendSMS workflow:

1. First, add an Twilio Scope activity and set the values for the input parameters like in the screenshot below. In the sample workflow above, you can see that I got the values for these parameters from variables. Here is a short description of the activity’s parameters:
  1. Add Send Message activity which can be used to send an SMS message. The parameters of this activity are:
  • From (String) - The Twilio phone number in E.164 format.

• To (String) - The phone number to call, in E.164 format, e.g. +15558675310.

• Body (String) - The text of the message you want to send. Can be up to 1,600 characters in length.

• Media (String[]) - List of media (up to 10) to send with the message.

That’s all you need to do! Enjoy :smiley:

10 Likes

Awesome! I hope you took inspiration from my Custom Activities Hackathon project :slight_smile:

I hope you add Fax capabilities in the future. That’s a big use case for many people.

Heads up to everyone using this that your API Key Secret is just that, secret! Don’t upload your workflow with that inserted as a raw string to a public repository (GitHub, GitLab, etc). Bots will pick it up and rack up charges almost instantly. Use Orchestrator Assets!

4 Likes

Very Useful!

1 Like

Hi,
When i download the packages i am not able to see the activities which is shown as above
Can some one help me on this please,
I have selected Include pre relies
Please find the attachment for your reference.
Twilio 1

Twilio 2

Make Voice Call: Error occurred. Http Status Code: ‘400’. Twilio Error: '21219

I am getting this error when i try to make a call
can some one tell me why it is comming

@Darshan_BM, it looks like you’re using the wrong version of the package. Make sure you’re using 1.0.0-preview as the 1.0.7495.12930 is an older version that was a hackathon project. It should look like this

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.