Why a 500 error post a successful installation of v2021.10 Insights Or why it is not possible to see any data in the newly set up 2021.10 Insights?
Starting 2021.10, we have updated the underlying analytics engine that UiPath Insights leverages from "Sisense" to "Looker".
At times, after the successful installation of 2021.10 Insights, a 500 error might be thrown while trying to access Insights. This could occur due to various possible reasons and the following troubleshooting steps can be helpful in isolating the issue.
Troubleshooting / Resolving the 500 issue:
- As the first step, it is good to check if all the prerequisites needed for a successful setup are in place. The requirements have changed quite a bit when compared to the previous Sisense-supported versions of Insights. Refer to the Insights Hardware and Software Requirements documentation for this.
- It is a requirement that Insights and Orchestrator should be of matching versions. As a general rule, Insights should never be on a higher version (say 21.10.1) than Orchestrator (say 21.10.0). If this is the scenario, proceed with a clean reinstallation of Insights with a compatible version.
- A 500 error can also occur due to issues with the IIS Hosting Bundle, i.e. when it has been corrupted or incorrectly installed. To verify this, go to "IIS Manager > UiPath Insights website > Logging" after installing Insights. Check if the following error is thrown:
In case you do, it is a good idea to repair/reinstall the IIS Hosting Bundle. This can be done by navigating to "Start --> Add or Remove Programs --> Microsoft .Net Core ____ - Windows Server Hosting --> Modify --> Repair/Uninstall" on the Insights server.
- The next step to troubleshoot the issue (should the above steps not help) is to check the Application Event Viewer logs on the Insights server. Check and target the logs accordingly. For instance, the below log in the EV may indicate issues with the DB permissions:
- "Failed executing DbCommand __________ PermissionService.Exceptions.ExternalHttpException: Internal server error occurred"
In such a case, it is a good idea to check if the user has the required permissions over the Orchestrator and Insights DBs. Read more about this in the "SQL Server Configuration" section here.
- If the errors are not very descriptive or self-explanatory, just capture the below, and send them over to UiPath Support team for further analysis
Tackling data rendering issues due to the SQL server, after resolving a 500 error:
A 500 error may often be accompanied with issues seeing data within Insights. The most common reason for data-rendering issues has often been found surrounding the SQL server. The following troubleshooting steps can help in this scenario
- Log in to Looker (Typically "https://<insights URL>:9999") using the credentials obtained by running the below command in CMD. This has to be run as the user who installed Looker:
- - "Unprotect-CmsMessage -Path "$HOME\_insights\LookerSecret"\"
- Once logged in, navigate to "Admin --> Connections". This will enlist the connection string details for the Insights connection. Click on "Test" and check if it is possible to establish a successful connection with Looker. In case no, then it would look something like below:
- To rectify this, make sure the SQL server is accessible with the supplied credentials. If needed, modify the connection within the Looker GUI ("Admin --> Connections --> Databases") as well as within the Insights installer by following the steps illustrated in the Modifying the Insights Database Connection section in our doc here. (For instance, update the FQDN of the SQL server at both the aforementioned places)
- Sometimes, an error similar to -"Certificates does not conform to algorithm constraints..."is encountered. This error is usually seen when the signing certificate on the SQL server is using an outdated algorithm or has an inappropriate public key length. The general requirement is for the cert public key to be "2048" bits long. If this is the current scenario, consider deploying an updated cert for the SQL server
- If an error that says "The Microsoft SQL Server _____ Database Encountered An Error While Running This Query.." is encountered while Accessing Insights, it is highly likely that an incompatible version of the SQL server is used. Make sure to adhere to the prerequisites.