Task Capture 20.11 Public Preview Release

Task Capture 20.11 Public Preview Release :tada:

This month we are happy to announce a brand-new feature that reduces the amount of headache RPA Developers have around documentation!

In 20.11 release of Task Capture, you have an option of opening robot files created by Studio directly in Task Capture to generate the Process Definition Document in a few clicks!

:one: Launch Task Capture and open the .xaml file :rocket:

Start the application and choose the ‘Open file from PC’ option to find the file you want to create documentation for. As soon as the file is opened you can see it’s mapped into diagram at the main screen. As of now, Task Capture is not able to support all the activities that your automation may contain, so please expect that the representation of your flow might look different in Task Capture.

When the file is opened, you can find the screenshot and key properties of the activity in the description field of each action.

:warning: Please note that Task Capture can open only 1 .xaml file, not the entire project.

:two: Edit the process map and actions :pencil2:

Feel free to use Task Capture recording and editing capabilities to enhance your automation documentation. You can add new Sequences, Decisions, capture actions or edit the existing elements as well as provide them with the precise title or description to make the documentation even more informative!

Please visit the official documentation to find out more about editing the process map and recording actions.

:three: Generate the PDD :page_facing_up:

Once the editing is done – it’s time to save you work! Go to the ‘Export & Publish’ page to generate the Process Definition Document in MS Word format. Feel free to use one of the default templates or edit them to align with your company branding styles and include the only relevant information you need.

Check out the documentation to find out more about creating the custom template.

:warning: Please note, for now, Export to UiPath Studio is disabled due to complexity of the implementation. However, as soon as we get more feedback about its value for it – we surely will prioritize it.

:four: Share the results :busts_in_silhouette:

Feel free to send the output file to your colleagues or upload it directly to the Automation Hub! See more about this option here!

How to get it? :gear:

Please use the following links to download installer:

Want to find out more? :face_with_monocle:

Please visit the official documentation portal, where we prepared the detailed explanation of what kind of the activities are supported as of now, and how the parsing of the data from .xaml file works.

Share your feedback :speaking_head:

1. What are the Studio activities that you most frequently use?
  2. How do you create the documentation for your automation?
  3. What data do you need to include in the PDD?

Known Issues :bug:

We’ve released 20.11.1 hotfix version on November 18th that includes the fix of an issue when the invalid XAML file was attempted to be open and the notification about it appeared. The notification contains references to the documentation portal, clicking on which the app was suddenly closed. This is not a problem anymore :slight_smile:
Besides, now when you open XAML file the message about possible differences appears also when you open it from the ‘File’ → ‘Open’ menu and from the File Explorer.

17 Likes

Oh my God!!! I’ll try to use new version.

3 Likes

Amazing :star_struck:

2 Likes

A complete detailed video on UiPath Task Capture is here: Exploring UiPath Task Capture - YouTube

Cheers,
Parth

3 Likes

@Anna_Hotsa - Great!! Thank you for sharing, Anna

2 Likes

Lets explore !!!

2 Likes

the 64bit version exe is only 76kb, are you sure is the right installer?

Hm, seems like there is something wrong either with your network or browser or something else… Can you please try using another browser or use a link to another installer - .msi type?

Hello,
Is it possible to export also the annotations into the PDD?
I am not referring to Comment activity, but to the annotations that we can add to the activities.

If it is possible to do it, how can I export them?
Thank you a lot!

Hello @andreia.ventura!
Yes, you can add annotations (title and description) to each recorded action either from right-side of the Diagram Editor page when a sequence is selected or by double-clicking the action and going to Action Editor page. The annotations are automatically included in the exported PDD file (if you use one of the default templates).
Please check this page to find out more about the Editing an Action options :slight_smile: Besides, I encourage you to enrol for free Task Capture course on UiPath Academy (it’s just 2 hours long!) to find out more about key functionality and main use cases of the product :slight_smile:

Hello @Anna_Hotsa , thanks a lot for your prompt reply :slightly_smiling_face:
However, I was asking about the annotations from the .xaml file. When we add an activity to our automation we can add annotations (to describe the action performed or to add details).
I tried to add to the Word template something like {%ANNOTATION} but when I exported the .xaml file to TaskCapture the annotations were not there.
Probably I am not doing it correctly… :thinking:
Is there a way to export the annotations to taskCapture and to Word template file?

Thank you again :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Anna,
Can you tell me what is the licensee required for this? is it free? If so how many days?

If we have enterprise license what are the other benefits we will get?

Can anybody answer this?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi @narasimha_reddy !

You can get Task Capture licenses in many ways, for example if your organization has Automation Hub, or included with User Roles SKUs. Take a look at the licensing website.

1 Like