System.Activity for dotNET 6

@alexandru

Hello Alexandru,

referring to our discussion here a few tiny questions:

1. Do you plan to release the System.Activity and Workflow.Foundation classes for dotNET 6 independently from your release 22.4? This would give us a chance to build packages in advance and make them available with the upcoming release that supports dotNET 6.

2. Would you recommend building packages that support dotNET 6 right now?

3. From your perspective, is it necessary to support dotNET 5 and dotNET 6 in the future so that packages can also be used from the release 21.10? Or how long do you think we should support packages for the release >= 21.10 until full dotNET 6 support?

Thanks and best regards
Stefan

@alexandru

Hello Alexandru,

this morning I tried to build a cross-plattform activity for Windows and Mac OS X but I got a lot of warnings, the compatibility of the platform was checked and not passed (CA1416).

Warning CA1416: This call site is reachable on: 'Windows' all versions. 'OutArgument<string>.Set(ActivityContext, string)' is only supported on: 'Windows' 7.0 and later.
Warning CA1416: This call site is reachable on: 'macOS/OSX'. 'OutArgument<string>.Set(ActivityContext, string)' is only supported on: 'Windows' 7.0 and later.
Warning CA1416: This call site is reachable on: 'Linux'. 'OutArgument<string>.Set(ActivityContext, string)' is only supported on: 'Windows' 7.0 and later.
Warning CA1416: This call site is reachable on all platforms. 'OutArgument<string>.Set(ActivityContext, string)' is only supported on: 'Windows' 7.0 and later.

As far as I can see is the library System.Activities.dll, which contains the OutArgument class, only for the target platform Windows7.0. So I would like to add one more to my questions above:

1. When do you plan to release your System.Activities library for the net5.0 respectively net6.0 target platform?

Thanks and best regards
Stefan

@StefanSchnell you got it right :slight_smile: we are heading to .NET 6 as a LTS version

1. Yes, System.Activity and Workflow.Foundation are independent of 22.4 release, we plan to have them available ahead. Most likely we will have something in January - February next year.

2. You can plan ahead :slight_smile: but until we deliver the first port of Studio/Robot you will not benefit from the new activities

3. We will provide a patch for 21.10 with NET6 so in the future having just NET6 should also cover this usecase. We don’t have a timeline yet, but it will happen early next year.

4. What version of System.Activities are you using? It should also work for cross-platform with net5.0.

Hope this helps,

1 Like

@alexandru

Hello Alexandru,

thank you very much for your reply.

I use the version 5.0.0-20210922 from the Studio release 21.10.2.

Best regards
Stefan

The version looks good… Can you maybe take a look at our guide for .NET activities and try again? Maybe you missed something?

Thanks,

1 Like

@alexandru

Hello Alexandru,

are you really sure?

If I compile the activity with the mac OS X Assistant’s System.Activity.dll, it works without any problems. With the Windows library I get the errors mentioned above. And the manifest of the Windows library shows that the TargetPlatform and the SupportedOSPlatform attributes are Windows7.0.

Thanks and best regards
Stefan

I had this thread in my backlog for a while. Sorry for the late reply.

As we are a few days away from releasing the Stable & Enterprise for 2022.4 Release that brings .NET 6.0 runtime support please find the list of dependencies if you want to create a .NET 6.0 activity package:

• UiPath.Workflow.Runtime <= 6.0.0-20220401-03
  • UiPath.Workflow <= 6.0.0-20220401-03
  • System.Activities.Core.Presentation <= 6.0.0-20220318.2
  • System.Activities.Metadata <= 6.0.0-20220318.2
2 Likes

Thank you very much for this information @alexandru.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @alexandru ,

I tried to migrate the framework compatibility with .Net Framework 4.6.1 and .Net 6. It is failed.
I followed the below documentation.

Here I have attached a sample project.

EncryptDecrypt.zip (204.0 KB)

I am using the Visual studio 2022 community edition.

Tagged to @Forum_Staff , @Andreea_Stroe

Thank you
Balamurugan.S

Hi @balupad14

Have you managed to overcome the issue?

If not, some more details about it would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @loginerror ,

Thank you for the respond. Still now I am looking for the solution.

Details :

• I have all my packages is in .Net Framework. I need to migrate all compactable with .Net Framework and .Net 6.0.
  • I followed the guide that i have mentioned here.
  • In the visual studio it builds well. But after generated the package. I am not able to install it in the UiPath Windows.

• I have attached the sample that I have tried in the about thread.

Tagged to : @Anuj_Tiwari,@Andreea_Stroe

Thank you
Balamurugan.S

Hi @balupad14

This is just to check on the above, and to post a small update about a guide that we have recently released that talks about .NET 6 activities:

More information can be found here:

Please let us know if this is helpful for you, and how we could improve it :slight_smile:

1 Like