Settings, Constants and Assets sheet in config file

Hi All,
Can any one explain me what are Settings, Constants and Assets sheet in config file? how to use each?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Preeti

2 Likes

Absolutely,

The settings tabs contains values that may need to be changed, but not very frequently (file paths, file names, etc.).

Constants are values that are essentially universal variables for your process. For example “Timeout - Medium” might be set to 45s. Then this can be used in any activities with a timeout and you won’t have to edit them all individually in the future if you need to change this value.

The assets tab has a row for each asset that you want to grab the value of from Orchestrator.

5 Likes

Good info!

Regards
Preeti

1 Like

I still do not know what the assets sheet in config file is generally for? The default reFramework does not even read from the asset sheet. What is the best practice?

1 Like

Good evening @ui_xpath,

The default framework does read the values from the asset sheet, although it’s not totally transparent without diving in a little further.

If you dig into the InitAllSettings workflow, you’ll notice that the bot reads the values from the Assets sheet and attempts to get the associated Orchestrator asset value for each row.

The bot grabs the value from the asset with the name matching column B and assigns it to the Config variable name in column A (ex: in_Config(“EmailAddress_SupportTeam”)).

3 Likes

thank you very much, @chenderson . I missed it

1 Like

Absolutely no problem. I missed this the first few times I used the default framework as well!

1 Like

Is it correct to put credential names in the settings sheet and why, if they are still an asset to be pulled from Orch?

@dgreen

In REframework, we will use Get Asset activity to read values from Asset Sheet but we need Get Credentials activity to read credentials. So, we are keeping Credentials kind of Assets in Settings sheet instead of Asset sheet.

1 Like

Of course! That makes sense. Thank you.