Selectors issue with Notepad application

Hello,

I am using UiPath 2018.1.3 Enterprise Edition and I have a strange issue with Notepad and its selectors. To be precise, UiPath do not see individual menu selectors, just Edit and statusbar, without any subselectors. I attach photo below to ilustrate the issue.

Have anyone encountered such issue and maybe solved it? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Best wishes,
andrib

Hi @andrib, I didn’t get your question clearly however, I think your UiPath Explorer is not able to get selectors for menu items. I’ve tried on my machine and as I can see it’s working fine for me. Attached screenshot is for your reference.

Please let me know if you’re still facing the same issue.

Yes! That is exactly the case, as I did some testing with other Windows standard applications, I cannot get menu items in any of them, like Notepad, Calculator etc.

Do I have some feature disabled, that I am not aware of perhaps?

I would suggest you to close the UiPath Application properly (Close UiRobot from Task Manager) and run again. If you still face the issue, restart your system or reinstall UiPath.

Above suggestions are not tested however we’ve can try them.

Hi andrib,

Have you tried using another UiFramework in the UiPath Explorer?

Regards,
Eric

Yes, UiPath still does not recognise smaller elements…

Hi andrib,

I have never encountered such an issue. You might want to do a clean install of UiPath Studio and check if this problem still persists. If that’s the case, you might want to post this under the RPA Dev / Issues forum section.

Thanks,
Eric

Unfortunately after reinstallation both all the packages and the UiPath Studio itself, the issue still exists. I have as suggested moved teh topic to RPA Dev / Rookies section, as I could not find /Issues section.

If you don’t mind, can you pls share your workflow file?

hi @andrib

Without selector you can use send hot key as Alt+E

Thanks
Ashwin S

Hi,

I know that is how I could resolve this particular problem with Notepad, but I see that my UiPath does not recognize any sub - options in most applications (like Notepad, Calculator etc.), as it recognizes them for example, in UiPath Academy videos.

Thanks,
andrib

Main.xaml (7.6 KB)

I have attached it, but as you can see I just do simple tests to try to make selectors and UiPath spotting capabilities work. In the Click activity I tried click Edit button, but UiPath sees it as the whole Notepad container.

Furthermore I tried to manualy add a selector for Edit button, copied from the exercise from RPA Academy and UiPath responds with inability of finding provided UIElement.

Hi andrib,

I have modified your workflow and edited the selectors. Could you test it out if it works for you? Anyways I opened your workflow and realized there was no selector under the target properties.

Main.xaml (7.7 KB)

Regards,
Eric

hi @andrib

saw your xaml the selector is missing don’t use attach window and click notepad

you can do one thing to launch the notepad

Steps
1.use send hot key for window run i.e wnd+r
2.type the value as notepad and launch the application
3.click the edit
(or)

Use Open Application and select the notepad window and do the manipulations

Thanks
Ashwin S

Hi,

that is exactly my problem. UiPath does not see smaller elements of the app, and so it does not create selectors.

With your solution, I had the same problem I encountered when I typed teh selector manually. Picture provided.

Selector%20missing

Cheers,
andrib

hi @andrib

are you able to use type into and send hot key ?

Thanks
Ashwin S

Hi andrib,

Are you using a virtual machine (VM) or remote desktop connection by any chance? Or perharps are you interacting selectors with another VM? If that’s the case, there are chances that the partial selectors might not be recognized. Then I would recommend that you work with the click image and type into activities to interact with the notepad application. Another workaround would be to use the citrix recording tool.

Regards,
Eric

Hi,

unfortunately that is not the case, I am working on my machine and running UiPath from it as well.

Regards,
Andrzej

hey,

yes, they are working just fine, just the spoting UI elements is not working properly.

Cheers,
andrib

Are you by any chance using multiple monitors? Sometimes having more than one monitor activated at a time can mess with the selectors and make them not visible. I would recommend disconnecting your monitor and restarting your computer without a second monitor attached if that is the case.