Running process from orchestrator shows selector not found

Hi everybody,

I have been testing with uipath for a bit now and after making workflows that will automate tasks on my desktop is am now trying to make workflows that can run scheduled through the orchestrator.

So i have 1 workflow that will start an application through the run window (with send hotkey win+r). When running on my desktop it works good, but when i run it form the orchestrator as a job it fails on the first selector it need to find (the run window).

I have tied options with setting resolution in the orchestrator and running as console, but it did not help.

I am wondering now if i am doing this correctly at all. I assumed that i can run any process from the orchestrator if it also works on my desktop when i am logged on. But is this true? Or do i need to use different actions to run a process unattended?

Any insights would be helpfull! thanks

-JAD

Hi there @JAD,
In theory, the process should function in exactly the same fashion executed on your desktop, as when you run from Orchestrator.

With that said, have you attempting to view the instance the process is deployed to, validating it launches the application successfully?

On a side note, what is your setup?

As in, do you have a dedicated Virtual Machine, which the process is being execute on, or is it deploying onto your same desktop?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Hi @Mr_JDavey / Josh,

thanks for your quick reply.

My setup is as follows:
2 virtual servers. 1 for the orchestrator and 1 for the robot/studio.

I use and made the workflow on the robot/studio server with a normal user account (logged on to the server through RDP). When i run the process from the orchestrator i log off from the server with my user account and then wait for the result in the orchestrator.

TO validate if anything happens i logged on to the robot server with a different admin account to see what happened and i could see the robot logging on with the correct user, but then nothing happens and it logs of again (because it cannot find the selector i think).

-JAD

Hi there @JAD,
Have you tried to re-spy the elements via the Robot Server, comparing them to the current values?

Perhaps there are differences in the overall window title, or particular elements?

Thanks once again,
Josh

Hi @Mr_JDavey

What do you exactly mean with re-spy? I have checked the element in the element explorer and they seem to match.

to continue testing i have tried to run the process under a different user and then it seems to get past the first selector error ( to press win+r and type into it ).
What can that mean if it seems to work under 1 user, but not another? when i log in manually with the account the desktop is the same.

Edit: i added some screenshot actions to the workflow so i can see a little bit what happens on the screen. And it appears that the Send hotkey: win+r action does not work under my test user. At least, it processes the action, but the run window does not appear which is why the following type into action fails.

So under the first test user the run windows does not appear, but it does under the second test user. Is there anyway to make sure the win+r hotkey action launches the run window for all users?

thanks.

Hi @Mr_JDavey

it turned out the first test user logged on slower then the second for some reason. Because of this the the win+r action was performed when the desktop was not ready yet and did not summon the run window.

I also used some send hotkey action in the workflow without indicating an element on the screen. this seemed to work fine when running the workflow logged on, but gave errors when running it unattended.

The workflow is running unattended now. thanks for your time helping!

-JAD

Hi there @JAD,
Excellent, glad to hear you got it solved.

Thanks once again,
Josh