Multiple user access one server? How many licenses needed?

My apologies that this question might not be in the right category. I could not find the “license” category.

1. If there are several users who want to run an attended process on one computer, how many attended licenses are required? Assume that there is only 1 RPA process, and they all want to run this same RPA process; just at different times/shift.

Since there is only one computer, is 1 attended license enough? Or if there are 3 different people accessing the computer to run the robot, 3 attended licenses are needed?

1. Would it make it any different, if the computer they are accessing is a physical computer, a VM, or a server?

Hey,

1. One user equals one license. If you would like users to use only one machine during different shifts, I suggest that they use one Windows account to which the Robot will be connected. Especially if you use Active Directory authentication. Something like autologon or service account.
  2. It’s works the same way.

here you can read something more about licensing:

UiPath had something like this and it was called "concurent user’ but this type of user license is no longer available.

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I read on UiPath official site that concurrent licenses are no longer available.

Below is my understanding:
So whatever environment the customer uses (whether server, VM or physical PC), if multiple users access it (the same environment) with their own user name, we need the equal number of attended named user licenses.

If they can use the same login credential (like a common login), they only need one attended named user license.

Is my understanding above correct?

Also 2 more questions from your reply:

1. What does the AD have to do with this license issue? Could you elaborate on this?

2. If each user uses their own login credential to access the same PC, they need the equal number of licenses. Does this mean that we need the equal number of UiPath assistant installation? If there are 3 different users accessing the same environment, does each of them have to install it?

This is how it works for on-prem. I have more experience with the on-prem version, where we use AD authentication, which is why we use a shared account.
In the cloud it can be email. In this case, you could log into Orchestrator on one common license (account) across all your Windows accounts and theoretically it could work.
I did a test for the automation developer license on the trial version and it works.
I guess it should be the same for attended.

Thanks again.

That is, if all the users use the same credential, right? In which case one license is enough for everyone.

Could you assist me with the question #2?

Hi @tomato26

For question 2.

Yes, you need to install UiPath Assistants in User mode for all the users who are going to work on it and those many licenses have to be assigned for the users.

UiPath Attended License is user-based license so you can activate 1 license per user.

Refer attached document for UiPath Assistant installation guidance. Robot - Installing the Robot (uipath.com)

Theoretically, however, you can assign the same account defined in Orchestrator to these 3 Windows accounts and that should also work, and it will only utilize one license.

I see, but isn’t this gray as far as the UiPath terms/conditions go? No?

Thank you for your response.

The confusing part for me was the fact that they are accessing the same environment.
It is not like 3 users accessing a different environment each, in which case, it is easy to imagine that 3 different licenses are required, and 3 different installations of UiPath Assistant are required.

However, in my case, they will be accessing the same environment, but using their own login credential (not the shared/common one, but each has their own).
Even in this case, 3 licenses and 3 installations are required; Is my understanding correct?

You’re right, it may violate licensing rules. You can ask someone from UiPath team, what they are thinking about it.

So in your case for every user you need separate license ¯_(ツ)_/¯