Modern folders, Un-attended, trying to learn

Hello!

I have a newly installed orchestrator, on-prem, instance on a VM Windows Server 2019.

Another VM, running Windows 10 Pro. On this machine we have installed UiPath Studio Enterprise.

Now, in orchestrator I have added one user that is part of our windows domain. Let’s call him Bob. Now, when Bob log on the Win10 VM, starts the studio, everything works fine. If I understand it correctly, the license is automatically acquired from orchestrator to whatever machine Bob is using. The license for studio is bound to Bob, not the machine.

So, this leads me to my question. How can we have this Win10 VM, so that, we can run un-attended automations? Any clues on this topic would be much appreciated.

Like, if there is no user logged on to the the Win10 VM, how can we run automations from orchestrator? Do I need to setup a local user on that machine, and then add that user to orchestrator?

This is what I did:

Using modern folders, we do not really work with “Robots” like we did with classic folder. Instead, we define users, and give them access. Example, when you add a user to orchestrator, you can specify that a attended robot (studio license) should be created automatically. Thus, when you start studio and log into studio with those user credentials, studio acquires the proper license from orchestrator.

Since the goal was to be able to run unattended on a VM I created a domain user that does not reflect a real person. Rather, this is the account I want orchestrator to use to create a windows session with the VM when I start the process from orchestrator. (I belive you can also create a local user on that VM and add that user to orchestrator).

Inside orchestrator I created a machine template. In modern folders we cannot create standard machines.

On the VM I installed Robot only. This will give me the UiPath assistent on the vm. But there is also the old UiPath.Agent.exe. From my understanding, the assistant is the new replacement for agent. If so, why does uipath install the agent.exe (tray).

Anyway. When you install the robot (using plattforminstaller) only, there is field that you can optionally fill in: ConnectionSTring. I copied the “ConnectionString” value that you can find inside orchestrator under settings. This is confusing. I’m not sure this was right.

In the Assistent you need to fill in the machine key and url for the orchstrator (this is not the “ConnectionString” that you find in settings in orchestrator).

The problem was that you need to be adminstrator in order to change this. So I log in to the VM, either as local admin or a domain admin, start assistent, make the change, log out. Or you can temporarily add your un-attended domain user to the group of domain admin, log in to the vm, make the chane, log out, remove the un-attended user from the group of domain users.

So. Now you shold be disconnected from the VM. Log into orchestrator (I used the admin account for this, but you should be able to start the automation from another account if that account has the proper rights in orchestrator). Go to the folder from which you wish to run the desired automation (by default, from installation there is the “Shared” folder). Click Automations, Click the play button for the automation that you wish to run. (This assumes you have managed to create a process and published it to orchestrator as a package and then created a process to the folder of your choice).

I can now run a process automation (a GUI process), un-attended, from orchestrator.