LinQ query help regarding duplicates

So I have a datatable which has many columns, but mainly at focus are two columns. “Associate ID” and “Effective Date”. I want to write a LinQ query to give me a datatable out of the existing by remove all the duplicates rows of same value of “Associate ID” but keeping only the latest row according to “Effective Date”. So suppose my Datatable looks like this:

It will delete the first row entry and give the rest of the datatble.

PS: Yes the effective date can have either MM-dd-yyyy or MM/dd/yyyy format.

So for this I have written the following code:

(From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
                   Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)("Associate ID") Into Group = Group
                   Let maxDateRow = If(Group.Count() = 1,
                                       Group.First(),
                                       Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r As DataRow) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)).First())
                   Select maxDateRow).CopyToDataTable()

I am getting errors in this, please could someone help me, thanks in advance

2 Likes

@Biswas_Ishan

Dim distinctRows = (From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
                    Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)("Associate ID") Into Group
                                        Group.First(),
                                        Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)).First())

1 Like

Hi @Biswas_Ishan

Try this:

Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)("Associate ID") Into Group = Group
                    Group.First(),
                    Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r As DataRow) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, System.GlobalizationCultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None)).First())

Hope it helps!!

1 Like

Getting this error:

Error ERROR Validation Error Compiler error(s) encountered processing expression “Dim distinctRows = (From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)(“Associate ID”) Into Group
Group.First(),
Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)(“Effective Date”), {“MM-dd-yyyy”, “MM/dd/yyyy”}, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)).First())
Select maxDateRow).CopyToDataTable()”.
Expression expected. Test.xaml

1 Like

Getting this:

Error ERROR Validation Error Compiler error(s) encountered processing expression “(From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)(“Associate ID”) Into Group = Group
Group.First(),
Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r As DataRow) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)(“Effective Date”), {“MM-dd-yyyy”, “MM/dd/yyyy”}, System.GlobalizationCultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None)).First())
Select maxDateRow).CopyToDataTable()”.
‘GlobalizationCultureInfo’ is not a member of ‘System’.
Data type(s) of the type parameter(s) in extension method ‘Public Function OrderByDescending(Of TKey)(keySelector As System.Func(Of System.Data.DataRow, TKey)) As System.Linq.IOrderedEnumerable(Of System.Data.DataRow)’ defined in ‘System.Linq.Enumerable’ cannot be inferred from these arguments. Specifying the data type(s) explicitly might correct this error. Test.xaml

1 Like

@Biswas_Ishan

distinctRows = (From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
                    Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String)("Associate ID") Into Group
                                        Group.First(),
                                        Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)).First())

1 Like

Hi @Biswas_Ishan

Delete the assign activity and from Imports Panel Import System.Linq, System.Globalization, System.Linq . Expressions.

Let me know if you face any error.

Regards

1 Like

It says

Error ERROR Validation Error No compiled code to run
error BC30311: Value of type ‘String()’ cannot be converted to ‘String’. At line 5 Test.xaml

1 Like

Okay, imported these, now shall I keep your code in an assign?

1 Like

@Biswas_Ishan

distinctRows = (From row In AdditionsReportDT.AsEnumerable()
                    Group row By associateID = row.Field(Of String())("Associate ID") Into Group
                                        Group.First(),
                                        Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String())("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)).First())

1 Like

Yes you can keep the below code in assign @Biswas_Ishan

Group.First(),
                    Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r As DataRow) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "MM/dd/yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None)).First())

Hope it helps!!

1 Like

Same error

1 Like

This worked, no errors

2 Likes

But while running this error pops

Assign: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.

1 Like

try something like this to remove the Duplicates based on Associate ID

inputDatatable.asEnumerable.select(function (row) row(“Associate Id”).tostring).Select(function(x) x.first).copytoDatatable

1 Like

Hi @Biswas_Ishan

Try this:

Group.First(),
                    Group.OrderByDescending(Function(r As DataRow) DateTime.ParseExact(r.Field(Of String)("Effective Date"), {"MM-dd-yyyy", "M/dd/yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None)).First())

This should work
Regards

1 Like

No but i want the latest associate id, according to effective date columns

1 Like

Hi @Biswas_Ishan

Try this:

Regards

1 Like

Yes!!!

Now it finally works