How to start automation

Hi,
I want to ask on how to start my automation.
Im doing my report on daily basis. So i will start by opening an excel file where it has already a header with data yesterday. What i do is i will open a text file, so it will replace a new data . How i want to automate it using uipath

1 Like

Hi @Nur_Amin

Please use excel activities to read and write to excel…and then write text file/read text file for your text activities. Excel is generally read into a datatable which is like a table format

Cheers

Can you give me example? Im new to this

Hi @Nur_Amin

Please go theough this

or alternately through the official site

Cheers

I dont get it with the video

Hi @Nur_Amin

Did you do your basic training on academy? I would suggest that because you need a basic understanding of activities and how to use…

With current info i can see that you need to read excel and text but what you want to do with it is something only you know…giving more details on it will give a chance to point you to exact activity what you need to use

Cheers

What the meaning of this? I already do the read file

Hi @Nur_Amin

What activity are you using?

Cheers

Read text file

Hi @Nur_Amin

Thats is a warning.not an error…you would have given a string as path…assign string to a variable and pass the variable here…then it would not show the warning

Cheers

I think im a bit lost. What i need to put in this generate data table?

I start with read text file. Is it correct i put the text file that i want to convert to the excel? Then what should i do next?

1 Like

Hi @Nur_Amin

Say you have data in string like this

A,b,c

Then if you pass this string to genwrate datatable and give row separator as new line character and column separator as comma… this string will be converted to a table with twp rows and 3 columns

Then use write range to write this data to a excel

Cheers

May i ask your kindness to teach me step by step?

Hi @Nur_Amin

I can but…can you put exactly what you need to do…i ll give you steps…you can try…

If you want to read textfile…what you did is correct…

Now from that what data you need to paste in excel?? And how should it look

Once you have those then accordingly steps can be given

Cheers

I will explain on how i do it manually

1. I will open one excel file, then by using that file, i will open a text file.after using this (u can refer to the image), i will proceed to data cleaning where i will delete all immediately things that i dont need

Im a bit lost on how to start those step using uipath

Hi @Nur_Amin

This is clear…so follow these steps.

1. Read text file(already you did it)
    It will give you a string as output…
  2. Generate datatable…now in your excel in the wizard you will select column is separated by dilimiter and all right ?, the same way here select the column separator and row separator…when we say separator it means the delimiter.
    This will give you a datatable as output and input is string from first step
  3. If you want to delete any columns…use delete data column…either give column number or name…numbers for column starts from 0 not 1.so first column number is 0
    This will give you datatable with removed columns
    4.if you want to remove any rows …then use filter datatable…and giv eyour conditions like column c contains “test” then if will filter all rows which have text in it in column c. Here column c is the column name…
  4. Use write range and write data to excel.

Done

Cheers

1 Like

Hello @Nur_Amin

If you want to convert text to datatable you can use the below 2 approaches as mentioned in the video.

Activity:

• Generate datatable
  • Text to column activity

For your step 3 &4, where do i need to edit?