Git related checkout issues with branches

I am using the Git features of Ui Path to work on files with my team. I am trying to figure out if I am using it correctly, or if there is a glitch in how it works. I tried the following.

1. Create Git project
  2. Create Branch for Git project called Test1
  3. In another UiPath studio setup the same project from Git.
  4. Create branch for Git project called Test2
  5. be sure to make a change in each branch (Or they wont update to the git.

At this point I have the same git project open with two different branches (and main). The problem I am having is the branches seem to stay with each local file for the git project. Computer 1 always has Test1 and Computer 2 always has Test2 on it. When I look in Git GitLab in this case I can see both branches. If in GitLab I merge and delete all merged branches the branches in studio never go away. Am I missing something? If I delete the project folder on the local drive and re pull the entire project all of the branches show up (given I did not delete them).

If I add or remove any branches I have to delete the local files and re clone them. Is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

If in GitLab I merge and delete all merged branches the branches in studio never go away. Am I missing something?

Which ones do you still see in studio?
origin/Test1 and origin/Test2 or do you see the local branches still there?

i haven’t tested this, but will see if i can do some tests this weekend to see if i can reproduce your problem.

I set test1 on computer 1 and test 2 in computer2 … both show up in git… if you delete both in git they will not be removed from the project.(unless you delete all local files and then pull the entire project from git again)

I will do some testing this weekend, i also have some other issues with git (from uipath studio) which i want to address. I will test your problem too. Keep you posted

1 Like

@LeftBrainCo, @loginerror
I reproduced this problem.

I refer to Git as in Gitlab/Bitbucket

1. Git: Create a repository in Git (Bitbucket or Gitlab)
  2. Git: Create a master branch
  3. Studio1: Clone repository
  4. Studio1: Create local branch Test1 (do some changes) and push to Git
  5. Studio2: Clone repository
  6. Studio2: Create local branch Test2 (do some changes) and push to Git

At this point there are 3 branches visable in Git
Master, Test1, Test2

1. Git: Merge Test1 into master and delete the Test1 branch (origin/Test1)
  2. No when you open Studio1 you still see origin/Test1 present, which does not exists anymore in Git.

So in my opinion, studio does not check the remote repository for changes. The origin/Test1 should not be visable anymore.
I can delete old local branches, but the origin branches should be updated automaticly.

@LeftBrainCo If you still see the Test1 in your studio, that is normal behavior, because that is a local branch. You can have multiple local branches, but they don’t have to be visable in Git. Only when you push them they will be visable as origin/branchName.

@loginerror, where can i address features/bugs like this?

2 Likes

so if my branches are in git but do not update?

Can you explain your question, i do not understand what you mean

1 Like

The branches exist on my git repository. They are not local branches.

Do you mean origin/master or origin/… don’t update in your studio? Try to be a bit more specific what you mean, so i know where you are (in git or in studio).

1 Like

I did some more test because after reading the responses I felt like maybe I did miss something. It looks like when I pushed I was only pushing the master, and so per @jvanmarion 's notes it seems I was keeping the branches local and never actually posting them.

Thank you @jvanmarion

This was not solved yet see below:

Update: just checked If you delete branches from git they do not get removed from studio. Even after a merge.
I deleted these from git after a merge leaving only orgin/master
orgin/test1
orgin/test2
orgin/test3

I deleted
test1
test2
test3
locally in uipath

still have no matter what I try to do I have these in the branch manager. These references to the git repository branches that are not local, that do not exist.
orgin/test1
orgin/test2
orgin/test3

@jvanmarion you are correct in saying “So in my opinion, studio does not check the remote repository for changes. The origin/Test1 should not be visable anymore.
I can delete old local branches, but the origin branches should be updated automaticly.”

I would also add you cannot remove these from studio as far as I can tell.

I created a bug. Thank you for helping me find the best scenario to report. I was having an issue figuring out exactly what I did the first time to reproduce. This conversation made my report a lot more accurate than it would have been if I had submitted it without your input!

@LeftBrainCo
You’re welcome. I like the possibility of Git in Uipath Studio, but it’s far from stable to use in live situations in my opinion. We still use our git clients instead of Studio. Bugs like this are quite annoying. I haven’t heard back from @loginerror where we can post bugs like this.

Best way would probably be directly via Studio using the feedback feature (top right of the Studio window) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.