File Change Trigger V3

What level of folder access is required in order for the File Change Trigger activity to work?

I tried attaching a trigger to a folder I have read-only access to, and the trigger completely ignores any activity occurring in the folder. No error messages, just doesn’t detect anything.

@UiPath or someone else, any thoughts on this?

1 Like

In order for the File Change Trigger activity to work properly, the user account running the UiPath process needs at least read access to the folder and its contents. If the user account has read-only access, the File Change Trigger may not be able to detect the activity occurring in the folder.

Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Verify folder permissions: Double-check the folder permissions and ensure that the user account running the UiPath process has at least read access to the folder and its contents. Contact the system administrator or IT department to confirm the permissions.
  2. Check for any exclusions: Ensure that there are no specific exclusions or restrictions set for the folder that could prevent the File Change Trigger from detecting the activity. This could include security software configurations, group policies, or other access restrictions.
  3. Test with a different folder: Try attaching the File Change Trigger to a different folder where you have read-write access. This will help determine if the issue is specific to the folder with read-only access or if it’s a broader problem with the File Change Trigger functionality.
  4. Verify the triggering events: Make sure that the File Change Trigger activity is configured to detect the desired triggering events, such as file creation, modification, or deletion. You can adjust the settings in the Properties panel of the File Change Trigger activity to specify the desired events.

Hi @tclukay Thomas,

Since read only access isnt working for you, could you gain full control of the folder where the file is placed and then give it a try.

Also, if you are not willing to give full access to folder, then try n gain ownership of the file see if it works then, ideally read access should be enough, however i am guessing in your case you might have llimited control over the file( Make sure this is the user id of the bot you are running through.

If required check file properties:

Thanks.

Looks like I may be out of luck on the file trigger concept in this case. Files are sensitive in nature, therefore the company will not provide anything more than read-only access to the files and folders… which clearly is insufficient. Here are the authorities I have on the file:

I have confirmed that, if I use a folder with full authority, the trigger works.

@tclukay did you try your own folder
Because you have full control over your own directory

Unfortunately the files are of a sensitive nature, so anything more than read-only access is not going to be possible. I’ve confirmed the code works perfectly on a folder with full authority, so clearly the limited access is the problem. I’m just not sure why that should be the case. As long as the person running the trigger has rights to view the folder and its contents, it seems like it should work… but clearly it doesn’t.

Hi, yes I did. If I run it over my own folder, it works.

Unfortunately, when running the autotmation with “real” data however, I will not have that luxury. The bots will have read-only access to the folder. So it looks like use of a trigger will not work.

@tclukay ok. Are you developing process for yourself or it will work for whole organization.
Suppose you are developing for whole organization then you can make robotic user for it.

@tclukay yes…you need to think something different then folder trigger.