Excel application scope : Error openning workbook. Make sure Excel is installed

Hey,

I have office 2016 installed, 64bit, on a windows 10 machine. While running through lesson 9 practice 1 I’m getting this error, with or without ‘Visible’ checked. I downloaded the answer, and seems like the model answers were using an older library UIPath.Excel.Activties.WithWorkbook; this works until I check ‘UseExcelApplication’.

Anyone with a suggested fix? I dread to think how these will not work once someone upgrades to Office2016, and no, registry fix don’t sound like a reasonable solution since most enterprise OS are locked down on the registry.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I have the same problem, i try to reinstal office 365 . However it does not work at all

For now I guess to make sure the automation is resilient, don’t work with the excel app integration.

Hey @alienz

Have you tried with “Open workbook” Activity?

if not then try and let me know :slight_smile:

Regards,!!
Aksh

Hi @aksh1yadav,

On 2017.1.6309, there is no “Open Workbook” activity on app integration → excel. Cannot find it elsewhere by searching the activities too.

Thanks

Yeah then use directly Read Range Activity from workbook category.

Hi!
I am using the read range activity in the workbook. It still gives be an error the file contains corrupted data. Request your help.

Also, I donot have excel installed. However I do have the WPS excel (alternate of Microsoft excel).

My excel file contains simple data only.

Name Age Class
A 12 1
B 13 2
C 14 3
D 15 4

Request your help.

I am also experiencing the same issue. The workflow works perfectly fine in my windows 7 laptop however in windows 10 I get COM exception error. Tried reinstalling office 2013 as well.

Error message:
Main (1) has thrown an exception

Source: Read the excel file

Message: Error openning workbook. Make sure Excel is installed

Exception Type: Exception

System.Exception: Error openning workbook. Make sure Excel is installed —> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type ‘Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Application’. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{000208D5-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}’ failed due to the following error: Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED)).
at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass.set_SheetsInNewWorkbook(Int32 RHS)
at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication…ctor(String workbookPath, String password, Boolean visible, Boolean createNew)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication…ctor(String workbookPath, String password, Boolean visible, Boolean createNew)
at UiPath.Excel.Activities.ExcelApplicationScope.Execute(NativeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.NativeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

1 Like

uninstall completely (all components) and re-installation worked for me

I just had to close UiPath and reopen the project.

Is there a solution ?
Have the same Problem with Office 365 and WIN10

I could fix it. :wink:
A repair installation of office did it.
Don’t use the quick repair!

1 Like

I got the same problem, what is the real solution for this issue?

don’t rely on the excel app integration.

But If the source is excel file? Don’t you think it must be done using excel app integration?
For example if we want to automate pivot activity in excel.

I’m getting this error as well. It needs to be fixed.

To use Excel Application scope , Excel should be installed on your system because it uses MICROSOFT.OFFICE.INTEROP.EXCEL.DLL in the background for excel operations.

You can use Workbook Activities for such cases. :slight_smile: and the only thing you have to make sure at the time of robot run that Excel should be close or should not run in the background already.

Regards…!!
Aksh

2 Likes

I encountered the same error running Windows 7 64-bit and 2016 Office 365 Business 32-bit. I tried a quick repair and a full repair of Office, but neither solved the problem. Eventually a full uninstall/reinstall of Office 365 did the trick and the error is no longer present. I also ran CCleaner (Registry Cleaner option) between uninstall/reinstall to remove any lingering registry issues.

Some helpful research that others might find useful in diagnosing their own environment (based on registry fixes using regedit.exe or similar):

Although this article is in an answer to Microsoft Word the top answer describes why most people encounter the problem and what to look for in the registry to fix manually. c# - Error accessing COM components - Stack Overflow

The last question in the article above cites a similar problem with a missing folder rather than an empty extra folder in the registry and a link to their fix: c# - Outlook Com not registered - Stack Overflow

In terms of where to look in the registry, I also found this article helpful. In particular if you’re running a similar environment to me with 32-bit Office/Excel on a 64-bit computer, you’ll have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\Interface\ registry route to follow in addition to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\ described in the other articles.
https://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/support/support_gsyncit_8002801D.shtml
Although the article is written about Outlook, the same logic applies for the Excel error.

Always a good idea to backup your registry beforehand if you decide to do any manual fixes to it!

I encountered the “Excel not installed” error after upgrading to Office 2016 under 64-bit Win 10 Pro. I tried the quick repair, but it didn’t solve the error. I uninstalled Office and reinstalled it. After I reinstalled Office 2016 - it worked. If you’re having issues with Office 2016, try to reinstall it.

1 Like

Hello, I´m having a same problem.

“Excel not installed”

Even after reinstallation of Offices. Also Workbook Activities works (thank you @aksh1yadav) but is there any other solution for Excel Application Scope?

Thanks in advance

br
Jakub

2 Likes