Error when using drop down: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Hey,

I’m having a reoccurring error when trying to select a portal drop down menu: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

I am aware that this often is a result of interacting with other components and this bot uses a read excel prior. However, when debugging this, I can see that the bot gets the correct value and assigns it to a variable (which is the value it selects on the drop down).

It correctly selects this from the drop down, however, it errors straight after with the above message.

Can anyone please help explain why this is and how I fix it?

Thanks!

@dr1992

Can you please show the floe and exactly where you are seeing this error

cheers

The flow is:

• Read excel sheet
  • For each row, if the initial JSON has details on the sheet then apply a certain value from the sheet
  • Select value in drop down.

The value is correct and then correctly gets selected, but then the error occurs after on the drop down activity.

@dr1992

it might because if update of ui when you select item…

try to use a retry scope activity around it if selection itself is failing

if failing after selection then can use continue on error

if it is failing on next activity after select then use retry on next activity

cheers

To troubleshoot this issue, I recommend a few steps. Firstly, ensure all components and software versions are compatible and up-to-date, as outdated or incompatible components could trigger such errors. Additionally, implement more detailed error handling within your bot to capture additional information about the error. This might shed light on the specific point of failure.

Review the code where the interaction with the dropdown occurs and look for discrepancies or missing error handling that might lead to this issue.

Consider exploring alternative methods to interact with the dropdown menu, as well as updating or reinstalling the components involved, as this might resolve any underlying issues. Without specific details about the software or code, it’s challenging to provide a more targeted solution, so additional context or error logs would be beneficial for more precise assistance.