DropDown in application - SelectItem Not working

Hi all,

I’m trying to select a value in a dropdown in a Windows Application.
In UiPath Studio, after indicating the correct element on screen, it shows me all the selectable values.
However, when running this, it selects the UI element (not clicking) and don’t select the correct value.
As the values in this dropdown can change I don’t want to use the Activities Click and Hotkey to select a certain item.

How can I do this?

@P_S such Tasks can be solved with the find children Activity and looking for selectitems. After calculating the right entry it can be selected in the dropdown

@P_S - You can create a reliable selector for the particular value you need try to look into the dom you will find something like inner text or tag anything related to the element you want .

Hope it will help you.

Best!!
Anmol

Can you explain this? I can see the selectable items in a dropdown in my SelectItem Activity, however the value is not selected in the dropdown when running the process.

Thanks, this is a Windows Desktop application and not a website - I assume you were thinking of a website with your comment?

@P_S - Yeah I was thinking it’s a web application. Is it a Java Application or what?

1 Like

@P_S in such cases with the find children Activity the selectitems we’re fetched and are for further Processing available.

Drag an drop find children Activity
Configured the selector to the selectbox
Assign a Filter selector to selectitems, make the selector General to all selectitems EG with a Wildcard to the text
If properly configured you can EG in a for each Loop Log Out the selectitems Text EG with the Help of get attribute.

Let me know In Case you need more help in this

Tried this with FindChildren, but can’t get it to find the items in the checkbox.
I tried to set Filter to "<ctrl />" and "<wnd />" and set the scope to “FIND_DESCENDANTS” as well.

I also tried with UI Explorer, but wasn’t able to find all the items.

Any other ideas?

@P_S please provide some Screenshots from expanded visual tree from uiexplorer. Select a selectitems for the Screenshots. So WE can Guide you

Thanks for your quick replies.

Here is a screenshot from UIExplorer:

And here from UiPath FindChildren

And here from SelectItem

@P_S third Screenshot helped für the combobox, but we do need a Screenshot in the same manner for the select Item. Use uiexplorer, indicate Item, Pause with f2 expand the combobox and select after one selectitem

Here is the dropdown when I’m going to select an item in UIExplorer (seems like the item element can’t be identified):
dropdown

Here is the UIExplorer after I have clicked on an item:

@P_S
perfect, can you expand the tree (yellow mark) we have to search the selectitems manually with the help of uiexplorer
grafik

Here is everything underneath expanded:

@P_S
maybe you find the selectitems when you scroll down
grafik

If not then do one try:
check out if a key down can be sent to the window

grafik

However I would focus on finding the selectitem elements.

sometimes a recording of a click on a selectitem helps to find it, give a try on this as well
so we can check if the ui is reacting to our actions

Nothing more useful that I found when scrolling down.
However, the SelectItem Acitivy was able to find the values in the dropdown:
selectItem
However, for some reason it’s not selecting this item when running the process.

Key down etc can be sent (I have done it like this now), however, as the values in this dropdown can be changed I wanted to select a specific item per name.

as the values in this dropdown can be changed I wanted to select a specific item per name.

Yes, we are focusing on this requirement, but the situation is a little bit tricky so we have to approach by ui analysis

what we do need is a working selctor to a selectitem, so we can continue to configure find children activity.

@P_S
Can you show the selector from select item that currently identified Beslut? Thanks

Yes, here it is:

Can there be a reason that UiPath cant’ identify this element at all? I mean, is it maybe not possible to get this done at all?

@P_S I would not give up so far. I had a lot of challenges to solve and finally there was allways found a particular solution. As mentioned the curios thing is that the selector to the list items is not grabbable.

I would rerun the test:
find children - selector to
grafik

filter to: "<ctrl />" maybe with some wildcards like aaname=‘*’
scope FIND_DESCENDANTS

the mission of this action is just to if children are returned and hopefully we find the selectitems

Unfortunately not that much luck in that as I get the following error:

Source: Find Children 'WindowsForms10.Window.8...'

Message: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector: <wnd app='tekis.applicationcontainer.main.exe' ctrlname='SearchGenerell' /><wnd ctrlname='searchArendePanel' /><wnd ctrlname='groupBoxArendeHandelse' /><wnd ctrlname='_arendeHandelseTypComboBox' /><wnd cls='WindowsForms10.Window.*' idx='1' />

Exception Type: UiPath.Core.SelectorNotFoundException

An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
UiPath.Core.SelectorNotFoundException: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector: <wnd app='tekis.applicationcontainer.main.exe' ctrlname='SearchGenerell' /><wnd ctrlname='searchArendePanel' /><wnd ctrlname='groupBoxArendeHandelse' /><wnd ctrlname='_arendeHandelseTypComboBox' /><wnd cls='WindowsForms10.Window.*' idx='1' /> ----> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot find the UI element corresponding to this selector: <wnd app='tekis.applicationcontainer.main.exe' ctrlname='SearchGenerell' /><wnd ctrlname='searchArendePanel' /><wnd ctrlname='groupBoxArendeHandelse' /><wnd ctrlname='_arendeHandelseTypComboBox' /><wnd cls='WindowsForms10.Window.*' idx='1' />
   at UiPath.UiNodeClass.FindFirst(UiFindScope scope, String nodeID)
   at UiPath.Core.UiElement.FindFirst(FindScope scope, Selector selector, IVariableResolver resolver)
   --- End of inner ExceptionDetail stack trace ---
   at UiPath.Core.Activities.ScopeActivity.OnFaulted(NativeActivityFaultContext faultContext, Exception propagatedException, ActivityInstance propagatedFrom)
   at System.Activities.Runtime.FaultCallbackWrapper.Invoke(NativeActivityFaultContext faultContext, Exception propagatedException, ActivityInstance propagatedFrom)
   at System.Activities.Runtime.FaultCallbackWrapper.FaultWorkItem.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)