Does it make sense to use parallel activity?

Could someone explain to me, in the UiPath curriculum video, the meaning of using the condition in this parallel activity.
(URL: UiPath Academy)
I don’t see the logic in it, also because it uses a condition that is created in the parallel activity itself, in the first branch.
As the example in the video is being used, I see no difference between using parallel or using a sequential flow.

1 Like

Could you post a sample of the code here? When I follow the link, it just takes me to Academy front page.

Sorry, when I tried the link it redirected me directly to the module unit where the video appeared. I have downloaded the video workflow and attached it to the post.
Parallel Activity_Starting Project.zip (12.4 KB)

Hey, so this activity does not work as multithreading, unfortunately.
If you want to use it you need to be aware that execution is still done one by one and from left to right. You cannot use one parallel process to pass information in real-time to the main one within this activity until you define some delays or conditions like waiting until var will be updated.

@Antonio_Perez

So no process is completely parallel it is simulated in that way…that means each branch of parallel activity runs in smaller sequencial manner …

The condition has a use…for example…you are clicking on login and there are 3 possible outcomes for login…instead of usinh 3 check app states one after the other…you can use the 3 in paralle activity and set a variable to true in all 3…so that if any one of it is successful the parallel activity will end and will move to the next part…this way instead of 3 check app sattes with 30 seconds which make it 90…we can use paralle which max waits for 30 and will move ahead

Hope this helps

Cheers

And following that logic, what difference would there be with using ‘Pick’ activity?

And I still don’t understand defining a condition in the ‘Parallel’ activity that is not evaluated before but rather defined within the branches.

Well, when I think about this activity, I imagine doing a query to a database that takes a few seconds, and meanwhile, for example, I can open the web form where I will enter the data recovered from the query.
What I don’t understand is the exercise they propose in ‘Academy’ to place the condition: ‘input < 3000’ and that it is not evaluated at the beginning of the activity but within each branch.

And what difference is there, if the condition is True, between this activity and ‘Pick’

@Antonio_Perez

pick branch also works the same way…but it needs a trigger…here you can give the activities directly…Also pick branch will pick any one…here you can do multiple also

another example would be while opening excel sometimes we get pop up on opening…and excel gets stuck if pop up is not handled…so we can use parallel one with use excel to open and other to click on pop up if exists…then it wont be stuck

cheers

I still don’t make much sense of the activity using a condition, and even less of the example they use in the ‘Academy’ course.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Parallel: you have two or more parallel flow that are executed at the same time. While it might not be exactly parallel it’s close enough.

It’s actually not that useful in RPA, especially if that part of the flow involves UI elements. Yes, you can enter 12 values in 12 fields into a form and gain a second or two in performance, but as soon as any pre submit processing is involved in the UI, which is more common than you think, you’ll run into all kinds of exotic problem. Always consider that a UI is designed to function for 1 user using 1 keyboard/mouse as input, effectively doing everything one by one.

As for the pick branch variation, this one is a lot more useful. The only parallel component of this set of activities is that it checks multiple conditions at the (roughly) same time, and as soon as it has a hit on a specific condition it will follow that flow and ignore all other branches. Ideal for detecting multiple conditions during searches and login sequences. The conditions used are mostly activities like ‘element exists’ or one of its modern variations. Best to check the UiPath documentation for their exact usage.

3 Likes