Changed Default Regex for Variable & Arguments Naming Convention Rules

Changed Default Regex for Variable & Arguments Naming Convention Rules

Two rules of the Workflow Analyzer were updated with better default Regex expression values:

Couple of things to keep in mind:

• If you previously edited these values, you will keep your values after update.
  • Fresh Studio installations will get the new default values

Observed Behavior

Auto-update of Studio Community Edition from 2019.10 to 2019.12 does not update the following default Workflow Analyzer rules.

ST-NMG-01: Variables Naming Convention

Before update:

([a-z]|[A-Z])([0-9])+_([a-z]|[A-Z])([0-9])+

After update:

^([A-Z]|[a-z])+([0-9])*$

ST-NMG-02: Arguments Naming Convention

Before update:

in_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+
out_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+
io_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+_([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9])+

After update:

^in_([A-Z]|[a-z])+([0-9])*$
^out_([A-Z]|[a-z])+([0-9])*$
^io_([A-Z]|[a-z])+([0-9])*$

Solution:

To continue using these rules with the new default Regex expression, modify them manually via your Workflow Analyzer Settings:
However, if you’re already using your own defined Regex expressions, there’s no need to fallback to the new defaults.

4 Likes

Awesome stuff, keep it up, there is few more examples where I can see potential changes!
Also could we get an ReFramework example that works with most of the Workflow analyzer rules. because the current one is not applicable (my team likes to use workflow analyzer a lot ) :smiley:

This is a very good suggestion. In fact, it might make more sense to make REFramework open source as part of our Community GitHub to allow for quicker improevements.

We’ll keep you posted about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to close the loop here, and for those who don’t know it.

The maintained version of the ReFramework is stored here:

Since this discussion, it was also improved and I think making it adhere to the default Workflow Analyzer rules was one of the goals.